Monster Energy Drinks vs. Monster Fish Keepers...spread the word!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
In a world where cigarettes are legal, you're wondering why the FDA hasn't shut down energy drink manufacturers?

As for this frivolous claim, it's the dumbest claim I've seen since Spike Lee tried to sue Spike TV for using the word "Spike". Trademark/Copyright laws were created to protect companies from other groups or companies that through the use of their company name or logo, will cause confusion among consumers and/or pose a threat to their business. There is no way that any energy drink, regardless of it's name, is going to be confused with a fishkeeping hobbyist website. The logo in no way resembles the Monster Energy logo. Add to that, that Vermonster Beer, which is actually a beverage and therefore far more similar to Monster Energy Drink, won against Monster Energy Company when Monster brought a similar suit against them in 2009, and the case simply has no merit.

The frightening part about this (and our legal system in general), is the fact that a large company with enough money can easily appeal until they drain the defendants bank account to the point that they can't afford to fight anymore. If it comes down to it, and you do end up in court over this, I highly recommend a counter-suit or similar action if possible, each and every time they appeal, in an amount to cover the estimated court costs, and other incidentals. Make Monster Energy Company pay for wasting your time and finances on their ludicrous claim.
This is exactly what is so frightening - even if MFK is in the right, they cannot keep paying to defend their righteous position, unlike Hansens DBA as Monster which has unlimited money for appeals. I mentioned this is an earlier draft of my petition, but as was pointed out to me - we don't want to openly tell this corporation "if you sue us, you'll win"

MaiaDee

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Payson, AZ
Real Name
Maia
We noticed last night that the tv show Master Chef's logo is more similar to the disgusting energy drink than this forum's is. Think they're gonna sure Fox network and Chef Ramsey too?

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
We noticed last night that the tv show Master Chef's logo is more similar to the disgusting energy drink than this forum's is. Think they're gonna sure Fox network and Chef Ramsey too?
Wouldnt that be something if Gordon Ramsey started boycotting monster energy drinks?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Oh man, MD, you are SO right! I watch that show religiously and it DOES look so much like it...

I guess they pick their battles. I'm sure they never sued Disney/Pixar and Monsters, Inc.

Douglas - it's looking great :) Well over 400 signatures, and it hasn't even been 24 hours.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Nope, the link to my petition is on a Sticky and we are having perfectly reasonable discourse.

If the mods feel the need to edit, believe me they do :)

Incidentally, here is the non-shortened link:
http://www.change.org/petitions/monster-beverage-corporation-do-not-sue-monster -fish- keepers-for-copyright-infringement

(please remove the spaces before and after fish...did I mention that I find the auto censor really annoying and unnecessary? lol)

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I find it weird that it censors that out.

So far I have seen nothing worth locking the thread over. This topic is very near and dear to everyone on this forum.

This is totally ridiculous here. Monster energy sponsors many events that I like and probably even has a monster edition rc car, and they decide to sue a fish forum. These are two totally different things. Sports and motor sports to fish keeping. I bet there is at least one person in the monster company that has a fish tank in their office.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
What is so absurd, is that they could have used the similarity in the name to their benefit. Imagine how overjoyed Li would have been to have heard that Monster Energy Drinks wanted to advertise with us, or have MFK sponser a Monster tank with their "claw M" logo all over it...as you said, I'm sure there are Monster execs who keep fish, maybe even "monster" fish.

There are SO many ways that this association could have been turned into something positive, but instead it is all negative.

As much as I am all for turning the other cheek, this is one of those situations where we have no choice but to push back. We're at over 500 signatures now, so I am really pleased :D 10% of our goal in less than 24 hours is incredible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store