Most aggressive cichlid.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidkeeper91

AC Members
Jul 8, 2006
managuay86 said:
hey cichlidkeeper since im the only one that knows where you are coming from I will tell you from my past experiences, in my experience I have noticed that red devils are a lot more aggressive than most cichlids. Now saying this dont use this information to fight fish, thats wrong. and to all the people that were ripping on him you guys should be ashamed of your selves, I know you guys feel for the fish as do I but getting worked up on something that is not even evident is stupid. Have you ever sat and thought that maybe he is just curious? I know I am. Maybe he wants to know so he can stay away from that fish so it wont kill his other fish. Did you read anywhere that he put down "i wanna fight my fish so i wanna know which is more aggressive?" no! you guys are getting worked up for no reason. just relax and calm down and give him the answer and then ask why he would like the answer dont just " hell no! your not getting it cuz i think that u may fight them!" and another thing he did not ask if his tank is too small or over crowded so stop putting in your two cents where it is not needed. Let him find out the hard way if it gets too crowded isnt that how we started out? we all found out the hard way. anyway stop being so ignorant and be so quick to judge. thank you for your time. **** that took forever to write :)
Thank you managuay86, to every one else except for him because he is sticking up for me. they are not fighting, and if they do I will have to get rid of some of them. And i am not a newbie with cichilds. And dont say anything stupid. Well then rbishop how did you do it the easy way then?

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
Why dont you shut the F*** up. Your really pissing me off with that crap. My fish are doing just fine.There not fighting or anything. Maybe once I get a job and live on my own I will start getting other, and bigger tanks alright. If I did have any other tanks I would put them in that, but I dont't. So back off.

:cool: I really don't think that's the way to go. Sometimes folks will disagree w/ you or critisize what you're doing & time will teach you to accept it for what it is --- THEIR OPINION!! They are entitled to that as you are to yours. Sometimes the critisism comes w/ some merit as in this case & I'll tell you why. Your inquiry as to What do you guys think is the most aggressive cichlid. Put what ur opinion is. Asking questions is fine but sometimes answers might not be what you want to hear. They might be what you need to hear. My vote would be the Parachromis Dovii or Wolf Cichlid. Please donot attempt to add this species to what appears to be a severely overcrowded tank. You already have 2 or 3 of the more aggressive cichlids right now! In fact the Hemichromis fasciatus(that is the "real" name, popular or common name 'Banded jewelfish' or Ghanian jewelfish) hails from W. Africa & is listed as very aggressive, antisocial & should be kept alone in a single species tank 55gl min. The 'JD', 'RD' & Texas are all aggressive cichlids that max around 8/10" & although they can possibly get along in the same tank sometimes, they need way more room & filtration than you can provide right now. (Maybe once I get a job and live on my own I will start getting other, and bigger tanks alright) So wouldn't the logical conclusion be if you can't supply more tank space that maybe you should go w/ less fish?? The basic needs of the fish should always come first. It's not fair to them to place them in an environment that they can't possibly 'thrive' in. Notice I didnot say live or exist. Since you can only work w/ a 55gl for now, do a little more research & choose some species that can 'thrive' within those limits. No one has to learn things the 'hard way'. You can easily learn from observing the successes & failures of others. You can choose which members in this or any other forum are worth listening to or taking advice from. Some are more knowledgable or experienced than others. You can also choose to ignore & travel that road marked 'HARDWAY'. Unfortunately, quite often the fish are the ones that pay w/ their lives. BTW this, aside from the facts, is JMHO. Good Luck

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I would agree that the only one who is going to learn "the hardway" in this situation is the fish that die. Unfortunately it will then be too late for them. When I was given my 55g tank, it came with 2 ID Sharks. After researching them I realized that keeping them in my tank would be torture for them. And, even though my BF protested, I took them back to LFS. I believe that if you can't provide the proper environment for them, find them a new home. I have found that when my fish are happier, I am also happier with my tank. It is much nicer to look at when you know nothing is suffering bc it doesn't have enough room or doesn't like it's tankmates. The problem with keeping those aggressive fish together until "they begin to have problems" is that when they do begin to have problems, you are probably going to notice when you have one dead in the tank from an overnight fight. That really isn't fair to the fish. But, this is JMO.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
cichlidkeeper91 said:
Maybe once I get a job and live on my own I will start getting other, and bigger tanks alright.
Very telling. No wonder you don't know any better, when you've never had to pay taxes, bills, car payments, mortgage, student loans, work long hours, get aggravated by your boss who's breathign down your neck about a deadline when he should have brought the assignemnt to you last week, take care of a spouse and kids, worry about finding health insurance, panic over credit card interest rates going up, try to get out of a crummy lease. Maybe then you'd know the worth of "things" including pretty fishies you can buy at the store.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
The problem with keeping those aggressive fish together until "they begin to have problems" is that when they do begin to have problems, you are probably going to notice when you have one dead in the tank from an overnight fight. That really isn't fair to the fish. But, this is JMO

:cool: Bravo! Well said jodimartin2003 That's usually the way it works out w/ the "lets see what happens" plan. :read: research saves lives --- FISH LIVES!!!

cichlidkeeper91

AC Members
Jul 8, 2006
tonytheboss1 said:
Why dont you shut the F*** up. Your really pissing me off with that crap. My fish are doing just fine.There not fighting or anything. Maybe once I get a job and live on my own I will start getting other, and bigger tanks alright. If I did have any other tanks I would put them in that, but I dont't. So back off.

:cool: I really don't think that's the way to go. Sometimes folks will disagree w/ you or critisize what you're doing & time will teach you to accept it for what it is --- THEIR OPINION!! They are entitled to that as you are to yours. Sometimes the critisism comes w/ some merit as in this case & I'll tell you why. Your inquiry as to What do you guys think is the most aggressive cichlid. Put what ur opinion is. Asking questions is fine but sometimes answers might not be what you want to hear. They might be what you need to hear. My vote would be the Parachromis Dovii or Wolf Cichlid. Please donot attempt to add this species to what appears to be a severely overcrowded tank. You already have 2 or 3 of the more aggressive cichlids right now! In fact the Hemichromis fasciatus(that is the "real" name, popular or common name 'Banded jewelfish' or Ghanian jewelfish) hails from W. Africa & is listed as very aggressive, antisocial & should be kept alone in a single species tank 55gl min. The 'JD', 'RD' & Texas are all aggressive cichlids that max around 8/10" & although they can possibly get along in the same tank sometimes, they need way more room & filtration than you can provide right now. (Maybe once I get a job and live on my own I will start getting other, and bigger tanks alright) So wouldn't the logical conclusion be if you can't supply more tank space that maybe you should go w/ less fish?? The basic needs of the fish should always come first. It's not fair to them to place them in an environment that they can't possibly 'thrive' in. Notice I didnot say live or exist. Since you can only work w/ a 55gl for now, do a little more research & choose some species that can 'thrive' within those limits. No one has to learn things the 'hard way'. You can easily learn from observing the successes & failures of others. You can choose which members in this or any other forum are worth listening to or taking advice from. Some are more knowledgable or experienced than others. You can also choose to ignore & travel that road marked 'HARDWAY'. Unfortunately, quite often the fish are the ones that pay w/ their lives. BTW this, aside from the facts, is JMHO. Good Luck
actually I was wrong the fish is a hemichromis frempongi, now this is the real mean one.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
cichlidkeeper91 said:
Thank you managuay86, to every one else except for him because he is sticking up for me. they are not fighting, and if they do I will have to get rid of some of them. And i am not a newbie with cichilds. And dont say anything stupid. Well then rbishop how did you do it the easy way then?
Well, there isn't an "easy" way, at least when I began with cichlids in the mid 70s'.

It wasn't easy because I was like most newbies, wanting the great looking big fish that impressed friends, but I didn't have the funds, knowledge, and proper equipment to handle them.

I guess I lucked out and ran into some very experienced fish keepers that helped curb my impatience, taught me observation and the difference in what you can physically do, and what you should do.

There wasn't the internet forum back then and you had to rely on serious hobbyists and sound LFS help. Just like now, you had to sort out the chaff from the wheat.

It was easy to see the results when I visited a store or home and see the fish/tanks. Not so easy to do that on the internet.

There are almost unlimited combinations of stocking and tank conditions. Something that works for one who is dilligent might not work for the one that isn't. The problem usually arises when a less expirenced individual comes to a conclusion derived on short term results and expouses that as gospel/fact and newbies decide that is the rule, without exceptions, precipitating myths.

It is not so much we disagree with you as it is we disagree with the methods.

Many, many promise to upgrade, get a bigger tank, get rid of the fish (you know those disposable things?), do better next time. The same ones who end up saying..

What do you mean, do water changes?
Test kits?
Water parameters?
No one said I shouldn't!
I ignored the 17 responses that said not to and followed the one exception to the rule.

Last edited:

managuay86

New World Cichlid Keeper
Sep 13, 2005
San Diego, California
quick question... when you "expert hobbiests" give advice is it coming from the text books, personal experience, or what YOU think is right? Has anyone actually went to school or is going to school to actually study fish and fish behavior. I know when I do give advise which is rare because i want people to learn from their own mistakes which sounds terrible yes, but every single hobbiest has lost some fish when they started out if you say you have never lost a single fish then that is a bold faced lie! Anyway When I give advice it is coming from what my professors at my university are teaching me and from my experiences with fish. I only started to get into the hobby when i was 13 which was 7 years ago. I may not be old but i am wise and i know what i am doing.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
I started with a 10G tank when I was 3. We've all gained knowlege and experiences through trial and tribulations. looking at your signature I am wondering about some of the species in there, all of us lose fish but to blatently put incompatable species in a tank to see if they can Co-exist is a very very bad Idea and moreover Immoral and stupid. you ask where our knowlege comes from "text, experience, what we think is right" to answer that all 3. Research dilligently before buying, that way you avoid problems hopefully, no guarentee that it would help. Experience gained from past experiences work hand in hand with personal experience and what we think or know is right. so to sum up my reply we pull knowlege from alot of places and if that dosnt have the answer we pull together here and figure out what the soloution is, everyone has their input. It's your job to see how you take the advice and utilize it and incorperrate that into how you keep fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store