Most beautiful Cichlid thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
xhibition said:
HA HA, hope no one say blood parrot. Although I only find SA hybrids to catch my eye and I'm totally against African hybrids. Ami weird for that? lol.
I will have to say the parrot cichlid and yes I think you are weird for say that.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
I have found it hard to find a more beautiful cichild than a female festae in her full colors.

Since I have not been able to find a true festae (only uros) here is a picture of Mojos beautiful fish

Full copyright credits to Mo Devlin and his site aquamojo.com

ashdavid

Mar 27, 2005
Japan
ashdavid said:
I will have to say the parrot cichlid and yes I think you are weird for say that.
I just realized that people might mistaken me for saying parrot cichlid with the blood parrot . I am talking of the rare parrot cichlid(Hoplarchus psittacus )
Jmo I would never in a million years buy a blood parot or flower horn.

http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a067.php

xhibition

AC Members
Jun 6, 2004
SF Bay Area
Visit site
not nig on SA''s, so whats all the hype with flower horns. In Cali most the asian owned LFS sell them, but for like $1000 and more. Whats the deal with them that makes them so prized because I even notice petsmart sells them?

ashdavid

Mar 27, 2005
Japan
xhibition said:
not nig on SA''s, so whats all the hype with flower horns. In Cali most the asian owned LFS sell them, but for like $1000 and more. Whats the deal with them that makes them so prized because I even notice petsmart sells them?
They are supposed to bring luck or something and thats why they comand such a price. They were originaly developed in asia and people are very superstitious, so when that company said that they will bring good fortune and wealth obviously people believed it and it took off, people would pay just about anything to get one and so the prices rise and rise. They were only developed to make money. There have been other hybrids that have been developed for the same reason but never became popular, eg red texas .
Jmo opinion they are nothing special and I would prefer a trimac any day of the week. :cool:

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
The thing that most people don't know about FA's is that because of all the cross breeding and inbreeding to get those colors only about 1/3 of the fry will have those colors.

The rest end up as a boring aggressive large beige fish.

If you ever wanted to buy one it would be better to pick up an adult or mid aged juvie that already had it's colors. Nothing like paying big bucks for a beige fish.

I once heard a story. I can't confirm if its completely true or not.

There is a problem with the flowerhorn taking over certain water ways in parts of Asia. It turns out because only 1/3 of the fish get the color that the breeders are looking for they have to get rid of the rest.

Apparently it is bad luck to kill a FA so the breeders just release the rejects into the local waterways. Well Adding one foreign aggressive predator into an ecosystem is not a good thing but imagine what happens when you add thousands.

It's the snakeheads in Madagascar all over again. EEECCCHHHH.....

xhibition

AC Members
Jun 6, 2004
SF Bay Area
Visit site
WOW. What are these flower horns hybrid with? I'll never look at these fish the same. We are currently having a problem in one of our lakes out here because they keep fishing tons of illegal SA gars. Don't know much about SA cichlids, had no idea flower horns are hybrids. They're ugly as hell.

xhibition

AC Members
Jun 6, 2004
SF Bay Area
Visit site
You be the judge: ugly, pretty, or interesting

Ctenochromis horei

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store