Moving to the Basement with 180 gallons + 125 gallons + 75 Sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
A few more pictures

The light hood is nearly done. I just finished staining it tonight, and thought I would show you some pictures of the process.

First the top, notice the four holes, for air flow, two are setup with filters, to be intakes, the other two are for fans. Basically they are just quiet 120mm computer fans, which fit perfectly into 4 inch holes.
Top.jpg
Fans.jpg
Air inlet.jpg

Next is the stand itself. Just 1x6 oak, and I used a couple little trim pieces to make some crown molding type stuff. You can see the idea here, where the heat sink with LEDs will rest on the little aluminum bar, and then angle back on the oak marked "Back of light goes here". I'm not a cabinet maker, otherwise it would be a nicer setup! But this will do fine for me.

Unfinished 02.jpg
Unfinished.jpg

And then I stained it with a nice gel stain that was super easy to work with:

Finished look.jpg

I'm helping my brother move this weekend, but after that I should be able to get it all put together and hanging, and then you'll get a picture worth looking at (I hope!).

Air inlet.jpg Fans.jpg Finished look.jpg Top.jpg Unfinished 02.jpg Unfinished.jpg

monicatetra

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
The hood is looking very good for not being a cabinet maker :) I used the gel stain for my kitchen cabinets and liked it a lot too, when I just refinished my aquarium stand I used one called polyshades that has the polyurethane and stain in one (it took two coats though) I wish I could buy laquer but they don't sell it in California anymore!

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Here are just a couple more after sealing it. Just a little bit shinier than it was before.

Hood sealed 01.jpg

Hood sealed 012.jpg

Hood sealed 01.jpg Hood sealed 012.jpg

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
I am glad you liked it. Coating the back of the hood tonight, and hopefully hanging it this weekend!

aqua-nut

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
www.santarosa.edu
I am glad you liked it. Coating the back of the hood tonight, and hopefully hanging it this weekend!

OK the weekend is OVER. Where are the pics!! :)

I'm really enjoying your build. Did you ever do a video about it? I would love it if you did (hint, hint).

I have a 180 in storage and am starting planing to set it up. I really want to do LED. The ready made units are $$$$!

Sorry I have to end this post. 30 baby koi Angelfish just got delivered. Hurray for aquabid!

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Well its been a while, and a few things have changed, but here is a quick update. It is just a phone picture, I will get real pictures soon.

180 on top
40 breeder and 75 on lower shelf
29 off to the side.

All tanks.JPG

More to come... (Not tanks, I meant updates)

All tanks.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store