Multi-Species Paladarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Paladaria

AC Members
Jan 27, 2009
Here is the Size.

We are creating our paladarium in a back room of our house. The Room measures 12 ft x 15 ft x 8 ft.

Where would ya'll start. :help:

ohbly

AC Members
Feb 9, 2006
New Zealand
I think something of that scale requires expert advice.
Seeing that its going to cost a fortune, I'd hire a professional who has experience in setting up enclosures in zoo's and public displays if I were you

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Follow ohbly's advice for sure. Even if you do the work yourself, have a professional take a look at the plans and heed their advice. Things that come to my mind: humidity and how it will affect the walls, plumbing, making the room escape-proof, keeping the room sanitary, and any relevant building codes.

Paladaria

AC Members
Jan 27, 2009
Professional Advise?

Hmm. "Professional advise" is not quite the feed back I was hoping for from this thread. Half the fun of making a paladarium is creating it. As for costing a fortune, that's what hobby's are for.
We definitly agree that picking a particular climatic theme will be the easiest way. So we were thinking of going with a moderate tropical climate IE. Carribeanish.
We would like to be able to sit in it and enjoy when we are done, so I am thinking full blown rainforest will just be to humid for that.

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
Here's my advice: Figure out exactly what stock you want first. Then get a couple aquariums, fill some with the fish you want. Obtain suitable separate enclosures for the reptiles. Get the birds and keep them in suitable separate enclosures too. Master how to care for these animals and THEN think about building a giant paludarium.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Hmm. "Professional advise" is not quite the feed back I was hoping for from this thread. Half the fun of making a paladarium is creating it. As for costing a fortune, that's what hobby's are for.
We definitly agree that picking a particular climatic theme will be the easiest way. So we were thinking of going with a moderate tropical climate IE. Carribeanish.
We would like to be able to sit in it and enjoy when we are done, so I am thinking full blown rainforest will just be to humid for that.
Actually, you will need to take out almost a small loan for something like this to do it right. If a reef tank setup can cost a grand and more for a setup just imagine the cost on this? about 10k - 20K for starters. I personally think that professional help is the way to go. You will need someone's advice in building a caging setup and then also talk about the care of the animals together. This isn't an easy thing accomplish and if you can get this done right it would be spectacular and I recommend doing step by step photos on this.

The reason, I recommend calling a professional is that doing the size you want the weight is going to be tremendous and you may cause structural damage to your house which in turn will cost you more than you plan in the long run.

Now if you want to do something fun and interesting, if you can afford to do this is to build an arboretum/green house attached to your home. Have it fully heated. Place in the plants you want, along with the birds and a small pond. In this habitat you could keep box turtles, fish, Anoles, and amphibians as Green Tree frogs.
This way instead of building something that you would have to look into, you could actually have a small patio or bench in there enjoying it.
Have a fountain to have running water into your pond.
You could build a nice assortment there but then again, like I stated before, it would take a loan to build something like this.

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Why not just make it in your back-yard?
Have an enclosed acrylic structure with humidity control, plumbing, and all that good stuff.
You won't lose a room in your house, or have to deal with re-wiring and re-plumbing everything.

Paladaria

AC Members
Jan 27, 2009
The location is great for us

You know we don't look at it as loosing a room in the house but gaining as paludarium. We plan to place a small table and a couple of chairs in the middle where we can go in and enjoy it. The room sits next to the living room, so we plan to place a window between to rooms.

Our back yard is actually to small for such a creation, and we really want the bird component as well. We are still trying to work out the "poo problem" which I think will be one of the biggest issues. We probably will end up housing a few sun conure's and maybe a few quaker parrots.

It was between an art room or a paludarium, all in the family voted for the later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store