My 125 gallon build a.k.a. in the deep end...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
Very lovely tank! It's always nice to see the progression of a big project like yours.

As far as adding angelfish to your tank, they should be fine with your current stocking, save the serpaes and shrimp. Serpaes can be nippy with long-finned fish, but will usually be more mild-mannered towards other tankmates and focus their slight aggression on one another in a large enough group of six or more. I have, however, heard others say that serpaes can still chase, nip and basically stress slow moving/long-finned fish no matter how many other serpaes there are in the school, and angels are definitely classified as slow moving and long-finned. Juvenile angels are especially sensitive in community tanks and can be easily outcompeted for food and territory and can die from too much stress caused by other fish chasing and nipping.

Looks like you have an amano shrimp from the last set of pics you posted and amanos grow to 2", so your angels may never be able to eat your shrimp. Angels usually do harass most inverts though (shrimp, snails, etc.), to death in most cases, so keep that in mind as well.

Last edited:

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
I'm not worthy!!! Lol, amazing tank, stand, and driftwood! My only comment is to watch the serpaes with the angels... Serpaes get nippy.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
I'm not worthy!!! Lol, amazing tank, stand, and driftwood! My only comment is to watch the serpaes with the angels... Serpaes get nippy.
if you do a bigs school, then you should be fine.

also, i love your whiptail catfish! and the cories are awesome! i also love the serpaes! and i think thats an amano shrimp. :) it looks AMAZING!!! :)

ryukin_5

AC Members
Mar 30, 2010
Antigua W.I
ok so you live in illinois huh!!!! :lipssealedsmilie:.......

:lol:
seriously though this is one awesome thread man......... you got some madddddddd skills there .
really loving this tank and WoW on the scaping and EVERYTHING...

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Grow out tank

I posted these photos in another forum, but I'm going to put them here just as an FYI for those of you following along. I've started a 20 gallon tall grow out tank for the proposed angelfish. Right now its cycling with 3 serpaes and 3 corys. Aquaclear 30, Eheim Jager heater, and 2 - 24" T5 lights. I've got a few anubias nana's, some clippings from my italian valgs, and a sprig of hygro for now. Been running for about a week. Used media from the 125 for the Aquaclear so not sure how the cycle will go. Right now, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all 0.

My plan is to move the tetras back into the main, leave the panda corys there, and put the juvenille angelfish in here for a month or so while they, essentially, "grow out." Thinking about 4 blue or veiled black angelfish. Think they would compliment the tank nicely, and personally I just think they look cool.

Here's the grow out tank...
024.JPG
028.JPG

Thanks for all the advice. I've never had angels before, so its a learning curve. Also, I do appreciate the kind comments about the aquarium. Its been fun.

024.JPG 028.JPG

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
While in the grow out tank, consider adding a school of small schoolers like neons. It kind of "trains" the angels not to eat smaller fish. :)

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
just went though the whole thread...your whole setup is absolutely stunning. i really love the style of the stand! the tank itself also looks amazing.

a word on the angels...personally, I would not keep them with serpae tetras. the tetras can be kinda nippy, even when in schools. you might be better off with something like bolivian rams, festivum, or even firemouths or severum, depending on how much you care about "redecorating"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store