My 125 gallon build a.k.a. in the deep end...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I love wisteria, I have a sprig in almost all my tanks. Your technique keeping it short and bushy is def something I'll be trying in the future. Beautiful tank....

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Update...lots has happened...not all good

I've been reluctant to put any updates online as the photo uploader has been broken for a week or so. I finally tried the "basic uploader" and it seemed to work ok. Several weeks ago I did a "thin out" and removed almost all the Hygro from the tank. Its was very spindly, with most of the lower leaves dropping. I pulled it from the R and L sides, and left a single plant in the center, which I made from top clippings from the best I had left. I also thinning out my Red Ozelot as its in danger of taking over the tank. Heres a shot from immediately after the mower went through...

9-29-11 028.JPG

Around that time, my Ozelot sent up a runner and flowered. There eventually were 4 flowers on the stalk. I had to open the top and front of the hood to give it room to grow. Eventually it got to over 4 feet long and looked like it had a few flowers on it to go. Here's some of the photo's I got...

9-29-11 014.JPG9-29-11 015.JPG9-30-11 001.JPG

Then tragedy struck...I had a CO2 accident. My beautiful angelfish were the unfortunate victims of my screw up. I was cleaning 1 of my canister filters, and when I put it back, I must have put tension on the cord attached to my pH probe. This pulled just enough to pull the probe out of the water. I have the set point at 6.8, but it was reading 7+ while out of the water. The CO2 ran for approximately 2 days straight. End result, pH 6.2! I felt terrible. Everyone was panting, 1 dead pleco, 4 dead angels. I'm an idiot. I immediately did a 25% water change, pH 6.4. Then another 25% water change 2 hours later, pH 6.7. 21 tetras, 6 corys, 5 sidthimonkis, 1 pleco, and 3 otos made it. Losses: 1 pleco and 4 angels. (5/6 most expensive fish in the tank don't you know) I'm crushed, but it could have been much worse.

I've beefed up the probe holder and am considering a timer + pH probe system to prevent such an event from recurring. In the meantime, I miss my angels, but will move on and plan on getting more. Here are some of the last shots I have, they would have been beauties! Thanks for listening...

9-29-11 020.JPG9-29-11 023.JPG

9-29-11 028.JPG 9-29-11 014.JPG 9-30-11 001.JPG 9-29-11 015.JPG 9-29-11 023.JPG 9-29-11 020.JPG

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Awww, most of us have been there. I had a 120g set up with 3 Angels I had grown from qtr size to beautiful adults, had them over 3 years. I also had 30 rummy nose that glowed most days. I was having an adult beverage with a friend when her 10 year old daughter walked in and said "There is something wrong with the big tank, your fish don't look good". I could have cried, in fact, I did. I lost one Angel and 1/2 the rummy nose. Since then, I'm real careful with the bps on the co2....

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Latest update

The tank seems to have recovered from the CO2 incident, and things have stabilized and everyone who survived seems happy again. I've done some rescaping of the front of the tank, removing the wisteria and adding some anubias and java fern. I really enjoyed the look of the closely cropped wisteria, but it was just too much work. If I'd fall behind, it got overgrown very quickly. Guess I'll add in another group of angels. I loved the look of the 4 black angels that I had, not sure if I'll get more, or try a blue variety. Here's the latest update shot.

10-30-11 416.JPG

10-30-11 416.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store