my 125 gallon planted tank journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boomerjr91

I see you!
Apr 8, 2007
Horseheads, NY
wow. that must been fun. very nice tank as well.

groovylime

AC Members
jaysen.
Great Setup! I'm a huge flagtail prochilodus fan too. They're awesome fish. I thought you might like to see my guy. His name is Murphy and he's in a planted 75 gallon. I'll be moving him to a 180 gallon in a couple of months.
Here are some pics...

Keep posting more pictures of your tank as it grows in!

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
how big is yours? i see he also bruised his nose. is he skittish as well? the red leaves in your tank, are they banana plants? i have tons more updates still to post. yours also has a wider body than mine. different subspecies? maybe. yeah you should upgrade the tank asap.

groovylime

AC Members
jaysen.
He's about 8 inches (10 inches including tail) and he'll get into the bigger tank as soon as I've finished the basement room (drywalling at the moment), and completed the tank stand (designed, not built yet). He does tend to bang his nose once in a while and has intermittent nose sores... I'm hoping that the larger tank will minimize this. I got him when he was only about 4 inches and I'm committed to tank upgrades as he grows. He is by far my favorite.
As far as species/subspecies, I'm never completely sure what he is. I've browsed many species profiles for this fish and there is a lack of definative information as well as some contrary opinions. I would like to know exactly what he is and if it's a male or female. He has 11 black stripes on his tail and when he was younger he had much more black spots on his body.
The red leaved plant... the one with the long thin stems and broad leaves is a some kind of water lily.

Your fish are looking happy in the setup you've created... I'll keep my eye on this thread.

Also..
I'm sorry about posting so many picture on your post, I wasn't trying to highjack it, I was just excited about sharing my pics with another prochilodus fan. I won't post anymore pics in this post. Once I get the 180 set up, I'll start a thread for it.

jaysen

Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
hey groovy, i dont mind the pics at all. it is great to see other prochilodus in other setups. i like your tank but i dont have the lighting for your type of plants. i wish mine didnt get spooked and ram against the glass, causing his nose sore. he continues to break it open so i dont think it will ever heal properly. after he jumped out on saturday he broke the top of his dorsal fin. im waiting for it to grow back slowly. im shocked at how powerful he is to just knock the lid off the tank and still fly through the air. keep me posted on your tank and the new ones progress.

jaysen

Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
some more updates. a few weeks later, i added a few dozen more shrimp to the tank. i also re-arranged the plants to the background. i also adopted a flagfish that was getting beat up in another tank. he is surprisingly aggressive. the shrimp are a mix of all different cherry varieties. i like the brown ones because they remind me of bamboo shrimp but the black ones are my true favorites.

my blue shrimp. sorry for the quality but it was the best pic i could get.

i put a clay pot in the tank for the bristlenose plecos to breed. they never used it but the cories enjoyed their new hiding spot. when i put the clay pot in, it scared the hell out of the prochilodus. it was funny to see him so scared of a flower pot, but he got used to it in a few hours.

i added a few types of hygro and bought 5 baby bristlenose plecos from debbie (pinkertd).

red cherry shrimp male

the flagfish

a month later i bought a dozen siamese algae eaters.

more tank pics. i made 2 coconut caves with some moss, fishing line, and a coconut. was a fun little project. i saw it on a thread here and decided to try it out. the catfish, plecos, and shrimp love it.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
love both tanks, your and groovy's. the center piece fish looks like a big daddy with bunch of children around him.

jaysen

Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
Coming along great
Thats ALOT of Java Moss lol

you keep getting the SAE at the manhattan place?

i still have the original 12, i never went back for more. it was a lot of java moss. i ended up taking a bunch out to fill a 10 gallon. as it continues to grow i take out more and more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store