My 125 Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WoodRight

New 75 gal not set up yet.
Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
Wow I like that idea. I wish I saw this a few weeks ago.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Great question, he used Starboard...essentially the same thing you see those clear cutting boards made of. He said he paid $100 for the sheet of it and it has saved his tank when it comes to tumbling rocks, etc.[/quote]

Grins: I will have to check this out. Sounds like a good thing, aren't they supposed to be impervious to bacteria and that is why they are so popular as cutting boards?

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Can't wait to see some more pictures. I contacted two people about building an oak stand for my tank on eBay and their prices seemed very reasonable and the quality looked good...I think one was in TN and the other was in the midwest somewhere.
I don't know if you work on your own cars or not, but that metal stand certainly looks sturdy enough to support one! Wow!
Robbie
Robbie: I am trying the group in TN and their product looked good. I willhave to post a pic of the pieces I purchased. The metal stand is just a shame as it could hold a car. I am afraid with all the weight it will just dig into the wood floor in the front room.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Ok, here is a pic of the stand and canopy from Dayton Cabinets that I ordered. They come KD and unfinished. Total price was ~650 I think for the two of them; and that is shipped.

stand.jpg canopy.jpg

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Ok, here is a pic of the stand and canopy from Dayton Cabinets that I ordered. They come KD and unfinished. Total price was ~650 I think for the two of them; and that is shipped.
That's the same place I talked to....they were a bit cheaper than the other one...maybe the shipping was less (closer to VA I suppose). They look like they know their stuff.
Any thoughts on how you will finish it?
Robbie

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Robbie: I am going to finish it with a black stain...but it is more of a wash so it's not solid black. We have a specialty wood working shop in the area and they had incredible stains to choose from. The price was no more than I would have spent at Home Depot with a bit more selection. Once it gets here, I will post pics of how it's packed and the set-up. I am hopeing that the set-up isn't too good to be true. Supposed to be an hour with a phillips head screwdriver. I will have to break out the electric, have a feeling there are going to be a lot of screws. I will finish the doors before I put them on.

I was thinking of seeing if there was a more salt resistent finish to put on the inside. Have you found anything?

David

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store