My 125 Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Stain applied

Ok, this is my first time staining wood...so be gentle. I put two coats of this specialty stain on - with lots of ventilation. Bad news when the directions say that once you are done, douse the wiping rags with water so that they don't spontaneously combust. What is up with that; so I did the water trick.

For the most part I am ok with the way it looks, but am not looking forward to doing the canopy.

After it dries for 10 hours, then I will apply the polyurethane which will be a semi gloss. Extra coats on the inside. I added another backer board on the left side of the stand so that I have a place to hook-up/hang all my DC8's and controllers.

staind (1 of 1).jpg

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
The canopy is complete.

Here is a pic of the canopy that I just finished yesterday. All I have to do is stain and hang the doors.

canopy (1 of 1).jpg

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Looks great! We use an oil (Watco) at work that will do the same thing if you leave the rags in a heap. The boneheads I work with have managed to set a chair and the dumpster on fire with the oil soaked rags. So now we burn them in a barrel as soon as we are done with them.
Robbie

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
Personally, I like an almost natural stain on oak, but that's just personal preference. The stand and hood look great.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Mandy: know what you mean about the stain...I prefer to keep the wood so I can see the natural color and grain. In this application I really needed to match the furniture in the library so that is walnut. I tried to strike a happy medium in that I only went 2 coats of stain so that the grain was still visible.

Robbie: we are fortunate to have a specialty wood working store nearby and it even has unusual woods (like zebra wood, etc) and I got some "old masters - Spanish Oak" stain from them. Really shocked about the flamability. I think my plans to put the tank together this weekend are off by a while. The stand is going to stay in the garage until the smell dies down after the poly coats.

WoodRight

New 75 gal not set up yet.
Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
I'm a cabinet maker and that thing with the rags dose happen but if you just hang them over something like a towel over a shower certain they wont go up in flames. once they are dry you can just throw them out.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
That hood design looks amazing. I can't wait to see that finished.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I have been really frustrated. I like the appearance of stain, but being a bit AR/perfectionist I want the stain even and no splotches. Since I can't achieve that...I think tomorrow I am going to paint it solid black. I did the top of the stand solid black with a special new paint that resists water, mildew and mold and protects the wood. Looks nice. I have to think about the stain for the doors and then the canopy.

I picked up my Coralife Pro 72" Retrofit today and can't wait to get it in the canopy. Got to do first things first though.

Getting those doors on and straight seems to be a bit of an ordeal. But I will get there soon.

20080325 006.JPG

Last edited:

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Looks good! Staining is a sunuvagun...probably the least fun part of the project. You get the stand, get it together, stain it...then wait...then sand a little and stain again..then wait...then poly....frustrating!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm surprised the staining didn't come out even. If you do it sections and provided there aren't water or glue spots on the wood it should come out even.

Almond, I thought I saw dental molding in the delivery but I don't see it on the stand?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store