My Birthday Finds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

V1xIII

AC Members
Jul 11, 2008
I believe fire eels are the biggest of all the spiny eels, even bigger than tire-track eels.

I had a peacock eel once (which is the smallest of the family) and he was an EXTREMELY picky eater. It's very hard to get them to eat anything but live worms sometimes.

The other things in your tank should be fine until they are able to be eaten by the eel, but i've also heard that certain eels won't eat even small tankmates. They are very peaceful fish either way.

They love to be hand fed, and will also come sit in your hand when small.

ciaobella7122

i love my ween!
Jul 28, 2008
Connecticut
My LFS (Petland Discounts) had a bunch of geo's last week. Don't know if they still do though... They are in Ansonia CT on Pershing Drive, it's about an hour south of springfield. Other than that they dont have much though lol. I'd definitely call first. We also have Purr-fect Pets in Milford CT which is my new fave, they get a whole bunch of nice stuff and will special order for you and finally All Pets Club in Wallingford or Branford. They always have a huge selection but are a LITTLE overpriced, not too bad. I'd give them each a call and see what they might have for you! Good luck and take pics!!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I've seen one at 3 feet in length in a local aquarium exhibit sometime in April. I don't know if I still have a picture of this. My sister took a shot after I asked her to take pics of every tank in the exhibit. May have to look on that.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
It is usually best to do research on the fish before you buy it.:huh:
Exactly. He has a 180g and 300g I believe but this should not stop someone from researching before buying a fish.

What kind of live foods other then guppies can I feed him?
You have plenty of choices aside from live foods such as crickets, earthworms, bloodworms, mussels, oysters, shrimps, smelts and beefheart.;)

Yeah a quick search shows they get over 2 feet in aquariums and over a meter long in the wild. They need sand or soft substrate to burrow in and sharper substrates can injure their body. They are escape artists like most eels, so make sure the cover is secure. It's difficult to get them onto anything but live food, most feed live bloodworms, blackworms, tubifex, brine shrimp, insect larvae, etc.
Good info.:iagree:

Iceeeyyyy

(っ◕‿◕)っ
Jun 19, 2008
rock in water
I've seen one at 3 feet in length in a local aquarium exhibit sometime in April. I don't know if I still have a picture of this. My sister took a shot after I asked her to take pics of every tank in the exhibit. May have to look on that.
:werd: They get large and are not for most aquarists, here are a few pix of a 29" Fire belonging to "softturtle" http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165059&highlight=fire+eel a fellow ]V[FK'er.:eek:mg: Its BIG, weighing in at about 5 lbs. LTC for (8 months or so). Eating market shrimp, night crawlers, and krill. :22_yikes:

fire eel 005.JPG fire eel 006.JPG fire eel 010.JPG

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, Yoji, thats a big fat eel!

Happy Birthday BigFishKeeper. Did you go to the Puppy Center in Hartford? I went a few months ago, lots of fishies.

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Gorgeous eel Yoji. I had no idea they got to be that thick. Almost resembles the Ball Python I had years back... he was something like 4" thick. (and 4.5' long)

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Very impressive! What's he feeding that thing...Blondes? :grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store