My bolivian rams spawned (2 pictures)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blairo1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2007
Yup, this is very common once they have lost the majority of fry. They know the survival rates are so much lower with only a few individuals, therefore they "consider" it a wasted expenditure of energy to continue tending to fry when that energy could be better utilized in the production of more eggs to once again spawn etc.

Normally one of the pair (and it isn't always one or the other, it does vary) will take longer to give up on the fry, whereas the other will become disinterested and become more engaged in the act of eating and re-establishing territory and potential spawn sites.

Corydoras are your arch nemesis when it comes to raising fry, they are night time egg/fry hunters and their bold stupidity means that they will quite happily swim right into the middle of the fry, parents and all, eating a good mouthful before being pecked and shooting off at a million miles an hour.

If you have clown loaches that are 3.5-4" or above then consider the chances of fry surviving to be, well, nil. When my pair first started spawning I watched as they struggled with a loach for 20 minutes to a half an hour in order to protect the eggs, but loaches are very powerful and stubborn fish. You could visibly see the Bolivians become increasingly tired until eventually the female gave up all together, she just didn't have the energy left. As they became more experienced and as they spawned more and more they really toughened up, to the point that they were able to kick that same loaches butt. That loach and just about any other fish that comes within 15" of their fry. lol. They will get there and I don't think that having a few predators is a bad thing at all, it strengthens the bond between pairs, encourages stronger parenting instinct, teaches them each time how to better protect their fry and generally makes them strong.

The problems only come if they are overwhelmed with predators, or if a fry eater is too powerful, in those instances it is best to remove a few/remove the predator altogether.

They'll get better, chances are they'll fall out now, I'm serious! But they will come round to it again and they'll be a lot better at it the next time.

Blair.

Bounette

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
1 baby left... Maybe some are hiding, but I'd be surprised. If you saw him, it like he KNOWS he's going to get eaten. He hides on the surface of leaves, swins near - almost into - the gravel... Poor little baby, he's got no chance. :(

The surprising thing is... the parents are still protecting him. Poor them too. :(

My boyfriend had suggested that we go buy a few cardinal tetras since there are some at out LFS and they are pretty big and look healthy, but I don't know. I really don't want to traumatize the parents or do anything that could affect their bond. Do you think it's better to wait, or you feel it wouldn't make any difference?

I hope they'll lay eggs again...

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I hope they'll lay eggs again...
I'm sure they will. That's the whole point of living things -- to create more. :)

Remember, this happens all the time in the wild. If you want more survivors in the future, you should consider a separate breeding tank. I mean, there's always room for one more aquarium... :Angel:

Bounette

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
Hum... unfortunately, not in my case. :( If I bought a separate tank for the babies, I would have to put it on the floor, no kidding! I live in my parents basement, and my bedroom is also my living room, study room... We've got 3 aquariums in the house. A 10G with a goldfish (from the garden pond - we used to put the fishes in the pool during winter, but with the new pool we have to use antifreeze, so we can't do that anymore). A 21G (my community tank). An old 30G - probably not water tight anymore - with... a winter white dwarf hamster. :D

Bounette

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
I don't usually feed my fish twice a day, but this evening, I was going to turn out the lights and they looked hungry. Today, for the first morning since they eggs were laid, I had given them dry cichlids food, so I gave them frozen brine shrimp.

As soon as the food was dropped, the female started acting REALLY weird. First, she was looking through the tank's glass, moving as if she was trying to impress another fish on the other side of the glass. I thought that maybe she wouldn't eat. Then, she started "binging", litterally. Eating every single shrimp she could find. Until she wasn't hungry anymore, because bits kept going out of her mouth. Even if the 2 other bolivians started swimming more into open water, it's obvious the parents are still dominant. At one point, both were after the other male.

Right now, the female looks pissed. :angryfire: I'm sorry for the bad choice of word, but if you saw her, you'd understand that there really aren't better words to describe her "expression".

These fish are fascinating and surprising.

Bounette

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
This morning, my male is trying to get the attention of his female. It looks like some mating ritual. He's very colorfull (a nice orangey color), puffs himself big, and when the female looks at him, he starts "dancing". Sometimes, she "pecks" at him.

They are still both eating a lot. They couldn't lay eggs again that soon, could they? It's probably just the couple bonding?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store