my brackish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
So if you have dry base rock, what are you using for filtration?

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
You have "base" rock again.

As is, the rock in your tank will likely start a massive cycle due to the covering of dead organisms, crustaceans, etc. All that organic material will disintegrate and your ammonia and nitrite will spike BIG time. Scats are "hardy", but they also need very clean water and overfiltration. It doesn't look like your filtration is adequate.

I am no saltie, (you and be both petluvr LOL) but it may take months to cycle that rock. Get more feedback from the salties here re: what to about the LR (plastic bin "cooking"???), but I would pull it all out of that tank ASAP. These are great looking fish, and you've put them at significant risk of ammonia poisoning.

You've already heard a few comments re: tank size for these scats in this very thread.... those scats need a larger home. That 140 could be really good for them though.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
well the filtration is a aqua 70 with brand new ammonia reducing bags and a good dose of seachem prime

since this happened at 11pm the other night after i had just worked a 16 hr day i did the best i could considering took my biggest tank 80g did an immediate wc when i flipped the tank of 50% but ran out of sea salt to do another figured i could go the one day without the extra filter if i did a few wc in the mean time which i have done last night after the latest change in day an half the salinity is 1.014 in the event that im not able to control the chem of the water through aggressive maintenance i have 2 other tanks that i am planning to chose to turn into brackish should i have to

tonight im going to get a new cannister filter since i did not want to just pop another hob though i have an abundance of aquaclears at home so this afternoon im going to go get a cannister that is rated for 100g add that to my hob i will be filtering this tank as if it is 175g

and as the sig in another poster says "the only solution to pollution is dilution" wc for this tank will be very much the same as changing of a newborns diaper often and spotless since diaper rash im sure is not something the a newborn baby enjoys so to i have not spent the time an effort with these fish to just poison them

i will be documenting this whole thing as i go along

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Sorry to hear about the roof falling in, chef. We've had our roof leak, but I couldn't imagine trying to battle a roof that's fallen in near our tanks.

It sounds like you have a pretty big challenge ahead of you, but one that you recognize and are planning to combat the best you can. Keep an eye on the ammonia & nitrite and stay on top of those water changes. It'll be time consuming, but I think we would all say it's worth it in the end to try and save our fish from incidents like this.

Best of luck bouncing back from this!

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
ok so i ran as fast as i could after work today to get a canister filter for the tank i been phoning my wife constantly asking her how they looking just feeling like im gonna get a response thats gonna make me go :eek:

yet everytime she checks on my tank its :dance2:

so after thinking about how to make sure that this tank does not crash i came up with this solution for the aquaclear hob i took out the carbon filter media and replaced it with 250 ml of seachem purigen and put the bags i put in last night on top of that

i decided that i would go with a hob magnum canister filled with carbon with a biowheel attachement so now the filtration on the tank looks like this

and i took a couple of shots of the fish as i was done and they certainly did not look worse for the wear actually if anything they seemed very frisky they even took bites at me as i was putting the tubes in the water

as a side note it takes a long time to cut 1/2 inch plexi with a serated knife :irked: my kids seem to like to misplace my tools both my hacksaw an my other saw are gone but my daughter did show me my circular saw :eek3:

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Did you just get the Magnum with Bio-Wheel? If so that will cause a cycle too. I would look into adding some Powerheads to increase water flow. I had a 209g saltwater tank that I acclimated 4 Silver Scats to and they were ALWAYS playing in the strong current of the return water along with the Monos. Plus if ammonia does start to increase available oxygen to the fish will decrease. Good luck with the tank! The Scats are very pretty!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
That is what we call "base rock". When the SG reaches SW, you can add some live rock to seed the base rock & then it will become live.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
i have a couple of powerheads i could hook up thanks for the tip

the cloudiness in the water is from the bump i did to salinity i wanted to get it higher so i added a higher salt content as of this morning i have the salinity up to 1.0185 i wanted to get it past 1.018

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
i might get flak from yall for this but here is how i added the salt i made a mix in a 4 ltr plastic insert i use for wc and added the mix to the tank the mix was salt 1/4 water 3/4 and it turned the water cloudy i took the pics right after adding the salt mixture

wanted to get the salinity up to 1.018 ill keep up with my wc and wtests

this morning the fish were alert as ever and active they even seem to have gained more color with heavier salt in the water

when i get home tonight i add in a power head to move the water more and i am going to find a skimmer for the tank as well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store