My Dad's 1984 tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
Ok. Here are my water test results:
Salinity - 1.020
PH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - O
Nitrate -40 bad

Oh, my powerhead says Powerhead 402.

So I did a 20 gallon water change and removed a bucket of corals. I wanted to remove the undergravel water system but the tank got way to dirty. Remember it is a 1984 tank. Also the only sand I saw was caribean sea. It had water in it so I guess it is ready to go right out of the bag.
But I think if I am going to remove the under water gravel system I will have to take all the rock and fish and put the into a trash can. Then I can remove the CC and put in the sand. Yall think that is a good plan?
Thank You,
Jon

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
If you have space in another tank to be able to remove the fish out for a while, personaly i would i do it and remove the ugf...the waiting time is going to be for the system to settle after being disturbed...just keep the other container at temp and with some water circulation..

Your pH is low too, you want to have that around 8.2 - 8.4

Niko

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
Well, it looks like I got a busy day today. Wish me luck!

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
I saw some caribea - sea live sand. Is that good sand? Also how high should the sand bed be. He has one snowflake eel.
Thanks

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
It about at 4 inches.

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
whats the best way to put it in once I get the fish and the undergravel system out. Just dump it in? Also how long you think until I could put the fish back in? Maybe this will help with are algea problem?

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
I can send some pics of the process. Also, all I have for filteration is the two power heads. We bought a 3 stage canister but it broke. Any advice on a filteration system besides a protein skimmer?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store