My discus tank - new look re-scape

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
The seller tells me they should hold their color well as they mature, But I'm going to feed them more Tetra Color Tropical Granules and Tetramin Crisps to see if those foods help out.
You want to avoid them at all costs when trying to mantain yellows. They will turn them orange.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
You want to avoid them at all costs when trying to mantain yellows. They will turn them orange.
Any suggestions then, on what I should feed them to maintain the paler yellow ?

Although I am keeping in mind that this strain is called 'golden' - not yellow, and they do have a deeper yellow coloration in the finnage - some may call it orange, but it's not an undesirable coloration imo.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
isn't Tetra one of the lower quality foods anyway? i won't feed tetra brand food to my fish.

ah, just did a little reading and it seems a lot of discus keepers use tetra foods. why? when it is such a low quality fish food, and you are feeding such expensive and beautiful fish?

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
isn't Tetra one of the lower quality foods anyway? i won't feed tetra brand food to my fish.

ah, just did a little reading and it seems a lot of discus keepers use tetra foods. why? when it is such a low quality fish food, and you are feeding such expensive and beautiful fish?

I've kept discus for many years and feed a variety of foods, including freeze-dried blackworms, frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis and brine shrimp, frozen krill, spirulina, bio-gold discus pellets, Omega and other quality flakes, as well the Tetra Color and Tetramin products. I have regularly grown out many discus from under 3" to over 6" to 7".
And I have not ever read or heard of Tetra food products being lower quality fish foods. The ingredient listings set out in their labels indicate a wide variety of beneficial foodstuffs and vitamins, and my discus literally go wild over the tropical granules and crisps in particular.
I'm not surprised that many discus-keepers feed their fish these products. In fact, it was 2 reputable discus breeders who put me on to them.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
when i've compared tetra foods to other brands, like omega (for example), the list of fillers and other grain based products in the tetra foods are much higher up in the list and with greater abundance than with other foods (like omega). IMO these fillers make for cheap food that isn't so great for fish. they are fish, not cows that eat grain. lol.

i am in no way saying omega is the best food, that is just one that i am using as an example. i feed mostly omega and nls to my fish, along with occasional frozen bloodworms, silversides (for the big fish), and algae wafers and zucchini.

i have in the past fed the tetra crisps to my fish in addition to the frozen foods, algae wafers and zucchini, but found with their current diet listed above, with omega and nls as their 'dry foods', they are much more active and generally look much healthier than before. i still have some of the same fish that were fed on tetra in the past, so it is a true comparison in my own tanks, not just comparing fish A on diet A to fish B on diet B.

while i have never kept discus, i would imagine that fish health related to diet is the same across the board, and discus are no different, eh?

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
Interesting. Well, I suppose a most beneficial diet depends on the type of fish you are keeping- and whether they are herbivores or omnivores.

Based on my experiences, I believe that discus do well on a high protein coupled with a high fiber diet, and the grain-based products seem to provide the latter, if that's what the Tetra products provide. And I don't agree that these so-called 'fillers' amount to 'cheap' food.
I too feed Omega & NLS products,as well as foods like algae wafers, but I can't avoid feeling there is benefit to the Tetra products, judging by the feeding-frenzied enthusiam that my discus show for the Tetra granules and Crisps, and the resulting health and growth.
As for fish health related to diet, I'll stick with the obvious results I get from growing out my discus.

If we agree to disagree, then you keep doing what works best for you, and I'll keep doing what seems to work best for me. Okay ? LOL

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
If we agree to disagree, then you keep doing what works best for you, and I'll keep doing what seems to work best for me. Okay ? LOL
but it's the discussion and disagreement that makes this forum so interesting! lol.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Interesting discussion
I too feed mixed diet to my Discus but they Love tetra colorbits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store