My DIY 125 Stand Build, Lots of Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Beautiful stand!

I have an empty 125 acrylic I need to build a stand for in the next couple years. Right now I don't have the space for it, but once the basement is finished it will get setup! Hopefully it looks as nice as yours.

I built something similar to yours for my 20 gallon, but I used 2x2 in the corners because I was worried about strength. It is now absurdly strong, but oh well!

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I picked up the tank today(pics) and set it on the stand. When I looked from behind at the bottom of the tank, I noticed that the tank is not sitting completely flat all the way across. There is a small gap under each center brace and across the back, probably about 1/16". I can see it decrease when I put a little weight by pressing down on the tank. Now I am positive that my stands top is flat because I layed a straight edge across it and was very particular about it. I'm wondering if they allow a little arch for when the weight of the water goes in, and the silicone will just flex a bit if any. I thought about putting some thin insulating foam underneath but that may raise it up a touch and expose more of the tank trim, which I missed covering by a fraction already (bummer, you'd think the trim on all the larger tanks would be the same, I measured my 72g and the 125 wound up 1/4" higher). Anyway, I'm going to call Aqueon tomorrow and see what they have to say.

IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0428.JPG

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Update: I spoke to Aqueon this morning and the tech told me that if the 4 corners are supported that it would be fine, and he also stated that with the weight of the water(it won't take much), it will settle down. I may still look for some thin foam or rubber to allow for some cushioning anyway.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Depending upon how you build your canopy they should fit. That much light over the tank means that you are planning on doing a planted tank. Otherwise you can just call it a tank of pea soup.

I tried using the shoplights in my 125 hood but I like the CFL's that I set up over my smaller tanks better. They are easy to wire (ceramic socket with leads) and give a lot of light but take up very little space. On some of the new ones 23W bulbs take up the same space as a regular incandescent lightbulb.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Well I'm just going to go with 2 of those fixtures for now. That will give me 84w, but more importantly, being non-planted, I think it will be enough light for viewing. I mocked up the lights on my tank at a distance close to where they would be in the canopy. Even without any shading, it seemed to be enough. If not, I can always add more. Here are a few more pics including the DIY canopy start/test fit.

IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0434.JPG IMG_0435.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store