My Fake Planted Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Just thought I'd toss up a few pics of my tank from today. The plants are fake, but I try to buy the most realistic fakes I can find and plant them in a natural looking way. Growing behind the log or tucked in tight places. Also tried to get a few close ups of my Rams. Not the best photo quality and I realized after I took them that I had some water stains on the glass from my water change earlier today. Oh well. I try to make the tank look as close to an actual aquatic habitat as possible. Hoping to plant live plants again in the future when I upgrade to a bigger tank this summer. Hoping this looks ok for now though?

Just noticed some green spot algae on the bottom of the pic of my Ram too. *sigh* can barely see it w/o the camera zoomed in. Stupid water stain and algae ruin the pic. Ugh. Oh well, was trying to focus on the Ram's beautiful colors. Have to get back in there and scrape that algae off.

ram great shot.jpg rams1117.jpg rams close shot.jpg fishtank long view.jpg fishtank left side.jpg Fishtank 10 - whole tank.jpg rams.jpg

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
Nice tank! And the pictures of the rams do a pretty good job of catching the colors!
Lisa

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Wow. That looks really nice. Some of the plants look very real to me. You do a good job of aquascaping using them. It does indeed have a more "natural" feel to it. Love the rams, such pretty fish. What size tank is that now?

LMOUTHBASS

Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Thanks! I try to put a lot of time in to aquascaping it the best I can with the fakes. I want it to look realistic. Most of the fakes are silk. They tend to flow better in the water and move more naturally in the current. I also try to tilt plants crooked as if they took root that way and are growing outward.

The Rams are really colorful. I wish I got better pics. So mad I didn't realize the water stains that leaked on the glass when I changed the water earlier. I would've wiped it off before the pics! lol

This tank is a 55 gallon. I'm going to replace the gravel soon with sand. Hoping to move everyone into a 125 this spring/summer and that will be planted with live plants, but in the meantime, I tried to make this look as real as possible.

Was curious how I was doing! ha

amyjod2

AC Members
Feb 14, 2008
Nice job with the tank and pics. You shouldn't second guess what you have done. Great job. Fish look happy and you are enjoying your tank. Look forward to what you do with the 125. Good luck

LMOUTHBASS

Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Thanks guys! Just wanted some opinions. The folks on here are pretty knowledgeable and love their fish, so just thought it would be cool to share. See how close I came to replicating a planted tank. I'm always thinking about moving things around and trying to arrange my tank different ways. Its sort of an aggravating obsession. ha. I like it where it is now. Wish I got better pics. Maybe I'll post some new ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store