My first canister filter, setup questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
you are 100% right jm, I am definitely learning that lesson as I go along here. I knew I had to seed the new filter at least but will run it with HOB for at least 2 weeks like you said.

as far as media choices / their order or spraybar placement, does anybody have any suggestions or is what I mentioned earlier a good way to do it.
do those filters create a lot of current?

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
I think keeping the spraybar vertically will kick up alot of crap from the bottom, keeping your tank cleaner (kinda like a powerhead).

If the filter output is at least 80% of what they say it is (I've read some pretty bad reviews about these filters) then the current might be strong if using an output nozzle, but with the spraybar it shouldn't be that high, spreading the flow more evenly.

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
I have read in the other forum that the output on that filter is half of what its rated for - 160gph (rated 320gph). but then again the poster found his Rena XP1 to have the actual output of 132gph as opposed to 250gph as claimed on the box. both tests were run using the identical method. I am keeping my fingers crossed here. :)

I have the small powerhead in there now to help my HOB with water circulation and it does a decent job considering its rated at 80gph. so even with 160gph on the jebo I should be OK when using the spraybar.

I will run it the way I had in mind and see what happens especially since there are realy no cons to it. I will direct the spray bar holes down and have the current hit the bottom (not sure if it will actualy be enough to reach the substrate with adequate force) to kick up as much as possible.
I hope it works as I want all the equipment hidden either by tank frame or my background.

anybody know what the white crystals may be? gmh mentioned that it may be zeolite, which I guess is used to remove ammonia. my ammonia readings are at 0 so is there a need for it?
As I mentioned before I would rather use that tray for extra bio media.

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
I was finally able to read the link provided earlier (blocked at work :( ) and the white crystals are zeolite.
should I use it? it removes the ammonia and softens the water. or should I use that for more bio media?

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
You can use the zeolite all the time, but I wouldn't. Once your tank is fully cycled, the bacteria should take care of day to day ammonia. I'd use the zeolite if you experience an ammonia spike. Like carbon, zeolite loses it's effectiveness over time, that's why I say don't use it all the time.

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
OK, I hooked it up and everything seems to be cool except it created a storm in my tank. the current is way too strong and I am not sure how to regulate it. can I just use the valves on the canister and turn it down a notch?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store