My first canister filter, setup questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
thanks mailman.

as far as flow regulation goes, do I regulate it with both IN and OUT valves or just the OUT?

also does the canister have to be filled all the way up to the top? mine is not (3/4 of an inch from the top) but it runs quietly anyway.

Last edited:

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i have the same filter and it works fine just not used to the motor being on the top, i have mostly 350 mags, with the motor on the bottom,
never had a problem, this flows from the top to the bottom

course pad on top i use floss under it in the same basket the you can add all the other stuff as you want underneath but i put flos on top of bags of stuff to keep out dirt from the media.. water flows from hose onto the top center basket down thru all to bottom the up thru the tube to the tank. so clean water first the ploish and stuff at bottom then out... did i confuse you,... i did me...:confused:

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
LOL, a little.

I put the coarse foam on the top with floss underneath it. next basket ceramic rings with no floss, then carbon on top of floss, and finally 2 pads of floss in the very bottom one.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i dosent need regulating, i have the same filter on a 46 bowfront. with the outputacross the top its a little hard down draft but fish learn not to go in it it dosent harm anything you can turn the holes tward the glass if you want but its fine, maybe your tanks is a little more shallow but the out put hose is a little smaller than the input, not sure why, i'd guess that it is to keep the flow little higher to match the input, try it and see, if too much then put it vertical or at the bottom pointing up the water slows down the pressure and as it filters it is cut down a bit anyway,.. you should be fine

i also run a emoroer 400 on the same tank so the flow is fine just follow directions or pictures as mine i think was in chinese?

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
when I ran it at full blast last night with the spraybar horizontally and just pointed a bit down it was throwing plants and fish around. i definitely have to lower the flow a little.

my tank is 36Lx12Wx24H

mailman37

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
long beach,CA
you dont need to fill it to top but if you do lower ur water level in tank because in some cases the tank overflow as for regulator that depends on how much you want the flow going in and coming out to your liking

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store