My Frontosa Tank - Updated Setup's Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Hey Kush,

I like the black sand and the rocks (very nice rocks)

As you are aware (from other posts), and it bears repeating, the 50 gallon tank is too small my friend. Your fish are close to their maximum size for that tank. You will need to watch agression closely until you can get an appropriate sized tank.

I love big rocks in tanks so I shudder to say what I am about to say: In my opinion, you are gonna need to pull most of those rocks out of there or do some major rearranging - sorry. I don't believe your aquascaping is practicle for the frontosa and your problem has been compounded by the tank footprint. You need to create open space in the upper water column and several smaller caves placed around the tank so that less dominant fish can outdodge your "would be" alpha male. Pretty soon you are probably going to be experiencing agression problems and you will need to aquascape with that in mind. PVC & ABS work great for this but they are not very athestically pleasing. Your less dominant fish will need to be able to swim in and around your caves or pvc so that can outdodge the alpha.

I am sorry to rain on the parade. I've been keeping frontosa for about 10 years and all the above is based on my persoanl experiences. I've lost some frontosa due to aggression directly related to footprint. It's a bummer.

Hope that helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store