my humble tylo snail tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Love your snails and that is a handsome piece of driftwood

Death Pony

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
Fredericksburg and Newport News, VA
cool!!! at least i can put loads of java fern for them to munch when i go for a long holidays and knowing they will not go hungry..
They'll eat more than Java ferns. Anything with fine or soft leaves will be devoured most likely. Anacharis will probably be a favorite. Good idea on vacation feeding.

FishVixen

DIY Addict
Jun 30, 2010
Richmond Va
It;s funny I used ti think snails were a pest to be gotten rid of. Now with planted tanks I'm buying plain old nerite snails but been watching them and interest is growing with snails. After seeing your tank I think my interest has just spiked out of the roof. Time to start checking out what it takes for a snail tank I guess.

boxedfish

AC Members
Aug 30, 2009
singapore
It;s funny I used ti think snails were a pest to be gotten rid of. Now with planted tanks I'm buying plain old nerite snails but been watching them and interest is growing with snails. After seeing your tank I think my interest has just spiked out of the roof. Time to start checking out what it takes for a snail tank I guess.
yes i used to never paid much attention to them until i got my first batch of tylomelania, now i just cant get enough. The only thing stopping me is tank overstocking. The nice part of tylomelania is that they dont give you babies often, so every newborn is so precious.

FishVixen

DIY Addict
Jun 30, 2010
Richmond Va
I never thought I'd put these two words together but I think your snail tank looks more exotic than most freshwater tanks I've seen. (exotic and snail in the same sentence I am evolving even after all this time) LOL

boxedfish

AC Members
Aug 30, 2009
singapore
hahaha.. thanks for the comment. The scape of this tank is constantly changing, because most of the plants are not doin well in this tank. This is what bugs me, even amazon frogbits(one of the most forgiving floating plant) rot in my tank... maybe it;s the high KH, PH and temperature of the tank.

FishVixen

DIY Addict
Jun 30, 2010
Richmond Va
Most tank scapes always change due to deaths, water changes or boredom. LOL I would have to figure a way to raise the PH mine come out at 6.8 -7. In the tanks it runs about 7 -7.4 I currently have 4 NPT with different lighting and temps so I'm experimenting with different plant in each.

boxedfish

AC Members
Aug 30, 2009
singapore
there's a few ways to increase PH.
1) increase KH
2) use an air pump to aerate the water
3) use coral chips
4) crushed coral substrate
5) oyster shells

my snails are doing well in PH 7.5 water

zoomed.com