My new anemone - am I in trouble?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

isontenney

LOOK! it's a fish........
May 16, 2006
Misawa, Japan
aipstasia meaning the pest ones that just pop up out of nowhere?

well, I'll see about returning it. There was one guy there who spoke decent english(I'm in Japan). I have to work the next few nights, but after that I'll see what I can do. if not, well, I have a friend who is just starting up a 55g tank, it'd probably do better in there.

Mar 29, 2007
hmm im pretty sure its in the condy family,

it will do much better in a 55 gallon tank, and yes thats the aipstasia im talking about

Mar 29, 2007
but nothings impossible :) percula and ocellaris clowns are known to host many things.....

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
i dont believe it is bleached it is just a white colored nem, i wana say Heteractis malu. unfortunately they do very poor in captivity,(if it is one), and they get well over a foot in diameter. please in the future try to look things up...for the sake of the animals:read:its such beautiful animal.
best of luck though maybe with the clowns and some better lighting(metal halides), it will be just fine. also maybe check out this link
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103902
I'd agree with that. I had a Malu when I first started ( I was told it was a bubble tip!! - don't go that LFS anymore) they are gorgeous to look at but they do need pristine water conditions, a far bigger tank and a well matured tank. I'd say it's way too early for you to consider an anemone at the moment as according to your previous posts you only set your tank up at the end of March so you won't have done your cycle yet.

Sorry to disappoint but I'd take it back.

isontenney

LOOK! it's a fish........
May 16, 2006
Misawa, Japan
yes, well thanks for the link and the info. didn't realize the size and lighting issue. I will definitely be doing more research before futures purchases.

Mar 29, 2007
the rock is mature, but the tank isnt, live rock is taken from the ocean (unless aquacultured) and the ocean is very mature, few billion years mature, but that doesnt mean the tank is

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Just want to really re-iterate people's thoughts here..I do agree that it should not be kept, i would not even say 6 months for a nem really, i would not suggest anything under a year, with halides and pretine water...

I know your going to be really dissapointed about the negative points people have raised during this post, but, its best for you and an inhabitant if people are frank and give an honest opinion..I am now glad to read that you are going to take it...Many kudos for accepting this mate...well done...

Niko

Mar 29, 2007
hey but why be dissapointed, plastic ones can look very nice and dont require any care, rittera mushrooms look similar to carpet anemones in a way, some corals look a bit like anemones and there is a chance clowns will host them,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store