My new Lionfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Triggerman

AC Members
Jun 2, 2003
Visit site
FreddytheFish said:
Go ahead, put your hand in the tank to get the damsel. The lion probably won't harm you, but wash your hands first to make sure it doesn't smell like food. If you hand feed, watch out, 'cause it will associate your hand with food and could try to get food from it.

Feeding: try to get it to feed on frozen food, the sooner you get it to do this the better. DO NOT feed FW goldfish. To get it to eat frozen, spear the forzen food on a feeding stick, and wiggle it around to make it appear live.

You may want to reconsider keeping it in a 90 gallon. It should be fine, but keep in mind they get huge. A good analogy that OrionGirl said was "its like a basketball floating in your tank.

Good Luck with your new lion. They truly are spectacular fish. :)
A 90 gallon is big enough for a volitan.

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
Thanks Freddy:)
i tried to feed it some squid but it wasnt interested, to tell you the truth it got a bit scared of me waving it around. is this normal? what should i do next?
i live near the sea and can catch live shrinp(becuase the LFS doesnt sell em) and try to see if it eats them, but then i was a bit worried about introducing diseases into the tank. Do you guys think it would be a problem if i tried this? i know there is always a risk but how big of a risk is it i dont know.
im getting a bit worried that it isnt eating and this is why i have written so much about this subjuct. please help:)
thanks in advance:)

Note: Because of the lack of SW tank keepers here in north cyprus, the lfs doesnt have much for them. such as that garlic thinger (that i read in the other topic) or any live shrimp types and all the other things you might recommed for me to use:( i can order them from the internet but it will take time. im not sure how long it can stay alive without eating. please help.

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
ive tried prawns, shrimps, squids(with all the legs and stuff), mussels meat and squid strips. but it didnt seem to want to eat any of them:(
however, it did go near them but didnt even open its mouth... i tried for like 2hours but it want having any of it. im lost. ive run out of ideas. :confused:

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Don't panic. Assuming you have good water quality, this is normal my friend, and it will eat when it gets hungry. Several days without food will not endanger the fish at all, just keep trying. Find out what it was eating at the LFS (you did ask to see it eat, correct?) and start from there. The foods you are offering will bring results, just have patience. Make absolutely sure you remove any uneaten food off the bottom promptly.

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
i havent left any parts of the food in the tank. but i must say it is still tryin to eat the blue damsel :huh:
This fish was imported from Istanbul and i dont have the phone number of the store to call and ask what they fed it. i read about a garlic scent thing, is that for aquariums only or can i buy it from a supermarket?

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
is it that easy? i am happy to hear that i dont have to order stuff over the net(and probably not receive it) and that i can go out to the local market and do my own home made "lionfish food":)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store