My new Lionfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
I collect shrimp from the indian ocean, i feed them to my friends hawkfish, just make sure if you put any in there they are not carrying eggs, because 1 day you have 20 adults, the next day 2000 little babies. pretty funny watching my friend scoop them out, but a pain in the arse. also whitebait is good, asuming you live near the ocean and can catch them :)

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
My Lion doesnt hide that much anymore. it usualy swims about the tank, thats lucky for me becuase i get a good look at it when ever i want.

i live in Cyprus(an island:)) we have plenty of "white" shrimp in the sea. i just hope my fish doesnt catch anything from them.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Freezing them will insure a safe product, and teaching the lion to eat frozen is a good idea.

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
thats a very good idea FB:) but is it a real problem if i feed it all live food or is thst just a way to cut expenses and to save time? Does feeding it live food introduce any problems in the long run or anything like that? i am aiming to ween it of live food but i thought id ask so i get to know as much as i can about them.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
well there is a risk, but no one knows how big the risk is, you lion could feed of live shrimp for years and never get sick, or tommorow it could get sick. really the risk is small. on your island, i am guessing that the water quality in the sea is good, also are you catching the shrimp in a remote area, where not many people go, if your fish will eat the frozen shrimp, it owuld be easier for you, as you could catch a lot at one time and freeze them, and only have to catch shrimp once every two month or something like that. IMO, try and ween it on to the frost foods.

jacobus

dragon wrasse nut
Dec 4, 2005
Singapore.
lionfish venom?

i recently got a baby lionfish. ive been reading this and the other thread about feeding it it.. i ve got it to eat some FW guppies(i cant get live SW feeder stuff in my area) to start the feeding cycle.. but i cant seem to get it to eat frozen .. i tried silverfish and squid, even the crushed garlic thingy.. but still no go. also .. ive recently purchased a larger tank(4 feet) and to cycle the new tank i got my LR from my tank to the new one .. during that .. one of my mandarin came into extreme close contact with my lionfish.. as i was working one the new tank... i checked my old one and notice the mandarin acting sluggish (not like it normally behaves at least). i went out for dinner and when i returned, i found the mandarin dead. could the lionfish's sting be the cause ? just how lethal is the lion fish's sting to other fish ? also .. i just realised my dragon wrasse is acting strange too.. i really hope its not the lion fish.. i love my dragon wrasse.. sigh.. the lionfish usually hides in the caves i created.. but with some of the LR gone.. its out in the open.. im sure it means no malice.. but could it stings just kill other fish accidently ?

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
i recently got a baby lionfish. ive been reading this and the other thread about feeding it it.. i ve got it to eat some FW guppies(i cant get live SW feeder stuff in my area) to start the feeding cycle.. but i cant seem to get it to eat frozen .. i tried silverfish and squid, even the crushed garlic thingy.. but still no go. also .. ive recently purchased a larger tank(4 feet) and to cycle the new tank i got my LR from my tank to the new one .. during that .. one of my mandarin came into extreme close contact with my lionfish.. as i was working one the new tank... i checked my old one and notice the mandarin acting sluggish (not like it normally behaves at least). i went out for dinner and when i returned, i found the mandarin dead. could the lionfish's sting be the cause ? just how lethal is the lion fish's sting to other fish ? also .. i just realised my dragon wrasse is acting strange too.. i really hope its not the lion fish.. i love my dragon wrasse.. sigh.. the lionfish usually hides in the caves i created.. but with some of the LR gone.. its out in the open.. im sure it means no malice.. but could it stings just kill other fish accidently ?

Highjack.

Well, mandarins are hard to keep in captivity, although it could be the lion. What kind of lion is it? If its a volitan, your tank is not big enough. They get to 15 inches, thats like a basketball floating i your tank.

jacobus

dragon wrasse nut
Dec 4, 2005
Singapore.
gosh .. its a volitan.. so huge ? i dunno if i can afford a larger thank.. it shouldn't be cause the mandarin is hard to keep. cause ive been keeping my pair of mandarins for 3 months now and they are not agressive toward each other.. good news is my dragon wrasse is still alive .. well i guess i's start saving for a new tank.. so maybe i can afford a larger tank when it starts to get bigger..

itstheantitang

A man, struck down in his prime...
Oct 1, 2005
FreddytheFish said:
Well, mandarins are hard to keep in captivity, although it could be the lion.
Freddy, the mandarin will live if you have a refugium, live rock and a massive amount of copepods. Some mandarins have even been weaned onto frozen foods (If you want a mandrin like that, dont get ur hopes up. Not you freddy, Mr. FW)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store