My new pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
do you mean 45 mil thickness? 1 mil is one thousandth of an inch.

joeski

joeski
Jun 18, 2005
connecticut
Yes I meant to say 45 mil. it is almost the same as roofing material but the one I used is fish safe the stuff that they put on roofs is not recommended for ponds because the chemicals in the rubber might leach into the water and harm your fish.

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
updated pics...still waiting

joeski

joeski
Jun 18, 2005
connecticut
I have a question for all the experienced pond keepers, I have a algae problem in my pond, water turned green I have installed a 36 watt UV clarifier 2 days ago and I don't see any improvement in the water clarity as of yet, how long before I see any type of improvement in the water clarity.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I use a Coralife Turbo Twist 18w UV sterilizer on mine, when I first got it, it took abotu a week to go from kool-aid green to crystal clear. How much flow are you running through it?

joeski

joeski
Jun 18, 2005
connecticut
the pump I am using pumps 2900gph the UV clarifier is suppose to handle up to 4000gph flow rate I checked the pond today and it seems that it might have cleared up a little bit I could see the fish swimming around it probably will take another 3 or 4 days before I see a big difference in the water clarity.

Desertponder

AC Members
Feb 21, 2006
Western Colorado
It looks very nice.
As for your algae problem, get plants in there. Plants help to balance out the system. Also, be patient. A pond usually will turn green in the spring for awhile and then clear up. It will often turn green again in the fall. You'll see this when the weather makes its shift from cool to warm and warm to cool.
Also, I can't tell for certain from your pictures but do you have rocks on the bottom as well?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store