My New Venture into Iwagumi!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

teij_tseng

AC Members
Mar 25, 2010
Finally gave the tank its first trim today. After trimming the hairgrass, I've learn two very important lessons:
1. Never become a barber or a hedge sculpture because either hairgrass grows at a super, amazingly fast rate or I missed some spots.
2. If you think to yourself "Hm, that wasn't a lot of trimmings to remove from the tank" when you get done cleaning the trimmings, check the underside of your arm, there's a good chance there are more.

Anyways, here are a couple of photos for you guys to enjoy!

Before

After

teij_tseng

AC Members
Mar 25, 2010
Well, just a quick update. I've ordered some blyxa japonica and crystal red shrimp. They should be coming in sometime next week. I'll probably be putting the blyxa japonica around the rocks and will be updating with pictures once I do that!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Dang... I hecka need to mow my dwarf hairgrass lawn too. Have you noticed some of your plants starting to uproot themselves? I have a couple strands towards where I first planted the stuff in my tank and now like 1/4 of the roots are exposed for no apparent reason. Oh well..

Teij Tseng, are you from Central California?

teij_tseng

AC Members
Mar 25, 2010
I actually do have a lot of runners that aren't rooted into the soil, so there are roots pretty much floating around. Mine do become somewhat uprooted, but that's actually because when I siphon, I do siphon somewhat deeply into my dhg.

I wish I was in central CA though. Having a snowstorm in the beginning of May was far from fun :rant2:. I'm actually in central WI though, far from nice, sunny CA.

Well, just a quick update. I just got my blyxa japonica in today looking great. Haven't planted them yet because the lights haven't come on yet (they're on a timer) and I mite actually trim the dhg down a little more again before I put the b. japonica in. I mite also finally give in and run to the petstore and grab some giant hairgrass (Eleocharis montevidensis) as well :huh:. I'll be updating with pictures later on in the day as I get those planted!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store