My Newest fish...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I've been tinkering with the idea of an above ground concrete pond/aquarium...

but i'm only dreaming.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
How much is 'more than the minimum'? They get 4 feet long I cant imagine them in any less than 1000 gallons...if i had one i would have more than 1000 gallons because that still seems to small to me
Interesting. . . . I've always heard that to keep them properly you need to actually redo your entire house, carving out a river from one end of the other (at least 20 feet long and 5 feet wide), with a very heavy duty filtration system to provide a natural current for the water, which you refill with Evian. Once you finish that, you could have two RTC's. But if they breed you'll have problems. . .

KenyanSandBoa

Dat-O-Holic
Aug 7, 2007
Massachusetts
Nice pick up!!

A true tank-buster...best of luck with him.

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Nice little guy. Yea Id say pond is way easier to do then a large tank.

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
Well if you're thinking pond, and you live in a hot climate... Why not build a low wood frame, line it with the flexible sheet pond liner, then drop pumps? You would'nt have to dig as much as for a traditional pond, and you could border the water fence with landscaping plants. I did raised beds and a buried water line system once, by hand, and it was'nt anywhere near as difficult as dropping a pond liner flush with the ground.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
a pond is a great idea, but I'm still going to keep him inside in nice sized tank until he out grows that.

And I think the pond would in fact be above ground with 1 side viewing glass.

Too bad turning your spare bedroom into a massive 9000g tank doesnt help resale value.

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
deoends who you sell it to, you could also take it with yo when you move and set it up elseware.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
If we do a wood framed pond then we could take it with us.

But I really like the look of a concrete tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store