My Scats Need Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
I will go on sunday and try to convince them to get me some of the water where the scats were caught. Do scats eat fish? I can try to feed them small fish fry from wild. My scats are afraid of anything moving in the tank.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
Hey how can I post my pics here. One of my scats died. There were more wounds on the body. How did it got those? Do scats fight? I guess they fought and one got killed. I am confused and sad. These scats are from fresh water river. So salt is not necessary. The other one has not eaten yet.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
you need to buy a hydrometer and keep the salt levels stable.

What happened to the sea water they came in? How long were they in the sea water? Did you change any of the sea water?

Something is very wrong if he hasnt eaten in over a week.

I'd check your LFS's return policy and do plenty of research before trying agian.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
They were not in the sea water. When I bought them I thought they were in sea water but when I went again they told me that these scats are from a river not sea. And eating is a problem that I can fix. I have put him with 4 cichilds for security and may be he would see them eating and would start to eat. Right how he is sharing a 2 inch pvc pipe with 2 cichilds. And is very happy. But he is not eating.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
I cant get him to eat. What could be wrong.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
And is very happy. But he is not eating.

How can you say he's happy if you can't even get him comfortable enough to eat?

Scats are brackish water fish, and as do many brackish fish, will travel across a broad range of salinities from freshwater to full marine. Even if they were caught in the river, you will have better luck keeping them in a brackish environment, I would shoot for an SG of between 1.005 and 1.010, but make sure you adjust it slowly. You will have to purchase marine salt mix and a hydrometer. You will have to give it a separate tank from the cichlids and tiger barbs since they are not brackish fish. Once you get it into a proper habitat you'll probably have better luck getting it comfortable and secure enough to get it to start taking food. Also, as mentioned before, a 14gal tank is nowhere near big enough for these fish.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
Buddy, there are no tiger barbs in there now. Second I have 4 snow white socolofi with him. There are 2 PVC pipes. One is occupied by a pair of socolofi and the second is shared by the scat and a socolofi. If he is sharing the pvc with a socolofi that means he is adjusting and will be happy. I have put 1 table spoon of salt for 1 gallon. I am trying to get him to eat by letting him see cichilds feeding. I hope that works.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Well if you're sp sure about what you're doing, then why bother asking questions? Most people ask questions because they need information, not to argue with any answers they get.

bottom line - scats are brackish, rift lake cichlids are not. scats get too big for a 14gal tank. Making brackish water requires marine mix, a piece of data you still have not specified.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
I dont know what salt mix it is. And how what goes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store