My Snails are in the Mail!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
A guy I met on another forum sent them to me. They came out of Kentucky

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Ah. I'm going to stick with my viviparid guess, then. There are several introduced snails that could also fit that description, but to my knowledge none of them are prevalent in KY.

There's a good aquatic snail ID manual published by University of Michigan. I really need to get my hands on one of those.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
I can get you a specific location this weekend. I will also look into the viviparids and see if I can get a positive ID.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Thanks!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
The conical snails are Pleurocera canaliculatum. I've had them for a couple of years now, and embarrassingly enough, I still don't know much about them.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Do you know if they readily breed in aquariums? Are they livebearers or egg layers? They seem to be doing good after the initial die off.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I'm not sure how they breed, but once in a long while, I'll see a baby one crawling on the glass. I've never seen any eggs, though it could just be that they laid it somewhere I couldn't see. Given the rarity of the baby snails, I'm also assuming that they probably only give birth a few times a year, and to only a few young.

If you find more information on them, do share. I'm down to my last few and would like to get a better idea on breeding them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store