My Sterbai just spawned!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I think what I am going to do is sell and empty 29g eclipse 3 setup I have collecting dust (terrible I know) and have hubby weld me a custom stand to hold 6 ten gellons. Then I can have a bunch of invert tanks and a breeding tank in case these sterbais are prolific.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
jeez, i just went and looked in the tank and there are more eggs all over the glass...and the cherry barbs look like they are going to pop from eating so much caviar. I think I am going to leave these in the tank to see what happens.

100_3126.jpg

leighasnana

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Keeping your container and water clean is important. The bubbler will keep any particles from staying on the eggs and causing bacterial infection or fungus. I've read of a breeder who keeps his eggs in the dark till hatching to prevent fungus. I've done that and I've had good luck. My 1st batch of eggs hatched in a guppy breeder, the second are now in a floating container with an airstone. These are albino paleatus which are easy to breed. The fry which hatched are now 3 wks old. They don't eat for the 1st 3 days. I then began feeding finelly crushed flake and I feed a variety of things which I can get small enough to fit into their mouths. Once a day I take a Q-tip and clean the bottom of the breeder with it and before I feed more food I clean out the old. I feed small amounts - often. I give them an hour to eat. I'm now beginning to scrape tiny amounts of various frozen foods mixed with water which I feed with a dropper below the water and still alternate with the flakes. You can scrape off a tiny bit into a small container and then put the rest of the cube back in the freezer in a baggie. Make sure some of the foods are landing on the bottom and keep the bottom clean so that no foods fungus. What I like about the guppy breeder is that when I clean out food I don't need to syphon and I end up changing out all of the water. While they were very tiny I had the foot of a black nylon over the breeder trap which kept them from getting out of the sides and helped to keep things dark. After hatching I added some live plants to the nursery and a tiny bit of filter sponge. It helps the water quality and they can feed off of these. Have fun.

gupman

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
Pennsylvania
when di yours start laying eggs? ine i noticed today so it had to be last night or when i went to get my check from work...

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
sorry, out of town last night. they laid them throughout the day yesterday. I caught them and put them in a breeder trap. There is moss and java fern floating in it (as the eggs are stuck to them). We shall see. Unfortunately I will be out of town from tuesday through saturday, not sure how hubby will feel about catering to new babies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store