My Sterbai just spawned!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
msjinkzd -how are your cory eggs doing? My albinos spawned again same day you posted. I put the eggs that I could get into one of those small white filter media bags that ties, hung it in the tank on the side where the filtered water comes into the tank and today I see a couple have already hatched. My cories spawned about a week ago and most of the eggs got eaten quickly but I did spy two baby cories about 4 days ago.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
well, i don't think mine are going to hatch :( I put them in a breeder trap by my filter discharge but then had to go out of town for a day. Came back and a couple look like they are starting to fungus. I still have about 8 left that are not fungused, but I am not hopeful. I know that when I was collecting the eggs I knocked about 15 or more off into the gravel, maybe those will have a better shot. I was apprehensive about adding the anti-fungal stuff because of my shrimp. I just hope they spawn again so that I can be more prepared to save the eggs (with less travelling too).

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
Congratulations!

Omg, I have heard about so many cory spawnings that I dreamed mine spawned lol...

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Congrats!!! Keep us updated!!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I didn't use any antifungus meds and I know there are a few fungused eggs in the bag too and it didn't seem to hurt anything. This was just an experiment using the information people have posted here. Figured it was worth a try! And somebody out there in Montana best be saving shipping money for some Christmas Cories:grinyes::grinyes:.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I just did my tank maintenance and saw that there were some eggs stuck to some plants that I had not seen previously, no fungus on them. And I have about 6 in the breeder that are not fungused yet, I removed the bad ones. We shall see, even if they hatch, i don't know if hubby is up for the challenge of keeping the breeder clean enough for them to survive :(...he says he will, but he has never even fed the fish before...we shall see.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Well most of my albino cory eggs hatched today. There were only a few in the bag that were fungused. Next time I try an "experiment" I better prepare in case it is successful! I decided I better get them out of the bag and it seems like it took forever, there's a tiny seam folded over at the bottom of the bag and of course some eggs were stuck in there. I poured them into tank water in a glass container. I can't believe how tiny they are! Like a pinhead with a tail! Got about 2 dozen. Decided they better go in the 10 gallon where I was temporarily housing some baby plecos. And baby plecos do not like to get netted! Then poured the baby cories and remaining eggs into the planted 10G. Sounds easy? I swear this took 2 hours! I imagine it'll be a week or so before I can see them in the gravel moving. Meanwhile I spied one of the older baby albinos in my pleco tank. It is the size of a baby guppy...which is huge compared to fresh hatched!!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
oh wow! i noticed a bunch of my eggs looked "burst" tonight, but didnt' see anything in the breeder...if they are that tiny (which makes sense with the size of the eggs) those suckers probably moved right into general population. lets hope they hide! I still have 6 or so eggs that haven't done anything yet.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Don't forget to put a piece of pantyhose or something over your filter intake too! I thought of that right after I put some of the babies into the tank, I looked at the size of the holes on the filter intake and ran for pantyhose.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I have foam over all my tanks intakes, my concern is more because of the gourami and the cherry barbs...they are "voracious" (well as voracious as 2" fish get)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store