My Super Crazy Idea - too crazy???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
crabs and other fish the main one id keep out are celestrial pearl danios.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
I currently keep celestial pearl danios an no problems. The only things posing a threat to them in this setup would be the crabs but currently I keep those as well. Maybe incorporate a 10 gallon pool somewhere along the stream just for celestial danios? Somehow. Just an idea :) I'm starting to take chunks out of my imaginary land area :/ Oh well I'll just have to plan it bigger!

Remember this is just an idea I thought up and wanted to have feedback on in case something fantastic happens and I can actually build it up. And people can draw inspiration from this as well I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
I currently keep celestial pearl danios an no problems. The only things posing a threat to them in this setup would be the crabs but currently I keep those as well. Maybe incorporate a 10 gallon pool somewhere along the stream just for celestial danios? Somehow. Just an idea :) I'm starting to take chunks out of my imaginary land area :/ Oh well I'll just have to plan it bigger!

Remember this is just an idea I thought up and wanted to have feedback on in case something fantastic happens and I can actually build it up. And people can draw inspiration from this as well I guess?

i was told not even to keep honey gouramis with them bc theyre so small

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
If I could get cash enough to set it up I'd surely let fellow aquarists visit me and see it for free :) of course they would have to be good friends first. So I don't just let anyone into my home. So if I can ever get reasonable time and money I'll do it. But it's a big IF. A public aquarium or large fish store could easily do it. But not me :(

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
I've been trying to imagine how it'd look, and my mind keeps coming up with huge things! If it could be done, by anyone, it would be fantastic. Like a captive-ecosystem, mini-biome extravaganza.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
It would be AMAZING to see, but expensive and quite the construction project. It would likely have to be done in the summer time, and just the materials alone would be expensive.

How would you go about cleaning it? Draining the water would leave anything on land with a drop to deal with. You would need two separate filtration systems, surprisingly the freshwater would probably be harder because of the amount of filtration needed. But it would be amazing to see and own. You would likely have to do it in a basement, or reinforce the floor with concrete and rebar.

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
Okay so to put things a bit clearer... The cleaning and maintenance of the setup would be accomplished as follows:

FW: 5-10% water changes every 2-4 weeks, using a Python siphon or similar. The water would be kept clean by a large external filter (or filter/sump combination) that would get it's media changed every two or three months (at most). The filter would have an incorporated heater so it wouldn't take up space in the water.

BW: Same as for FW but with more frequent water changes and very frequent top-ups with freshwater to keep salinity relatively constant (with a few seasonal fluctuations). Less filtration would be required for the brackish section due to mangrove plants being nitrate sponges and there being less biological load in that section.

Land: Millipedes, giant millipedes and wood lice would keep the substrate thoroughly turned over and tunnel through it a lot. Hermit crabs and land crabs would supplement this a bit when hiding an molting. Otherwise the land section would receive partial substrate changes (new coconut fiber, baking the sand) and spot cleaning for leftover foods and some waste. Waste cleaning on land is however not terribly necessary as most of the creatures would be fed vegetative matter (dried oak, almond and other leaves supplied readily, bark and wood "mulch", vegetables, some fruit-seasonal), and so their waste would go towards fertilizing the ferns, mosses and shrubs in the land area and old substrate could be used as compost in the garden. Of course the crabs would need "sea food" and tablets, flakes and sticks meant for omnivorous creatures (I would be very specific here and probably make my own-so many bad things are commonly used as preservatives in commercial foods for ie. hermit crabs).

The small SW section for the hermit crabs to soak in would just receie some basic water changes since nothing would be living in it permanently (to make things easier).

The whole thing would have moderate ventilation to allow clean air flow but keep humidity high. To answer a comment, of course the filters for FW and BW would be kept separate. I'm having second thoughts on the mudskippers... but Indian dwarf mudskippers wouldn't cause too much trouble.

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate the feedback so far and being a 16 year old aquarist with 9 years of experience in the hobby I think this idea is pretty good myself :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store