My Super Crazy Idea - too crazy???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Not crazy, per se...but definitely an ambitious project.

How would you be lighting this area, specifically the FW side with the aquatic plants? Keep in mind that when we have issues with lighting on our tanks we are typically dealing with heights less than 24".

Also, you would probably have to add something to keep all those inverts (mainly the snails) happy. Depending on how you plant the terrestrial area all the plant matter that drops into the aquatic sides will decompose and acidify the water.

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
No offense but the answer to your feeding question is in my previous comment :)
As for lighting I don't know... probably need something really powerful to keep all the plants happy! Especially the mangroves. As for feeding, the FW section would be fed algae wafers, shrimp sticks, flake food, frozen food, live food and veggies. The brackish water section mostly the same in different amounts.
Oh and there would be lots of bog wood in the FW for the plecos to enjoy (I really like panaques!). Same with the land area-just for the millipedes, pill bugs and hermit crabs to snack off/crawl on.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
Oh I read on a hermit crab forum that a great thing to do is buy a lot of bird seed feeding mixture for backyard birds and plant them in the substrate. Easy, decorative food for the hermit crabs (and company)!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I wasn't asking about feeding...all plant matter eventually decomposes and some of that will end up as waste in the aquatic sections. The decomposition acidifies the water which, if unregulated, is not good for snail shell growth.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Let me know how this works out for you, those 9 years of experience should make this quite the amazing project

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
That's what I was trying to get at...water chemistry, especially in regards to calcium, is important for the snails. Since these aren't just ramhorns or bladders and more "display" type snails, they definitely should be treated like the fish to make sure their needs are met.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store