My Three Toed Box Turtle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
awesome! when i first moved here (4 years ago) there used to be box turtles EVERYWHERE. like you couldn't even go for a walk without seeing a couple. one time i even found this box turtle with bright, almost neon red and orange markings all over its shell and skin and face. soooooo pretty.
now its like they've dissapeared. kinda weird. i can't remember the last time i saw one.
i just googled "box turlte for sale" and i found a website called www.turtlesale.com and they are wanting like $200 for an ornate! isn't that kinda high? i think thats the same type that i found with the red orange markings

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
box turtles are getting scarce everwhere, darn shame. i find a little comfort in the ten or so babies mine have had the escaped right into their natural habitat :D

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
wow, they breed? thats awesome! did you do anything special or did it just happen?

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
nope, i guess they just like it in there. and it doesn't hurt that my male is very...... active. he was gettin down to business with the girls fifteen minutes after i put him in :D

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
wow lol sweet
oh, for the outdoor habitat im going to build, i am going to make it really hilly/moundy and one corner i am going to till it up a lot and mix in a bunch of peat moss. so he can dig in it and stuff and it will hold lots of moisture and humidity. i read that this is a good thing to do? what do you think?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
wow they look so happy!!! where do you guys get box turtles? im curious because i think i might want to get one or two more so that terrance doesn't get lonely once he's in his huge outdoor habitat. But i refuse to steal them from the wild
how do you let the turtles hibernate? before they hibernate, would it be a good idea to put hay or a bunch of raked leaves and grass on top of them? and when should i do it? im really nervous about letting Terrance hibernate, idk why lol.

Also, what is the plant that is around your box turtle in your first pic, cam?
All my turtles are rescues. Most are the vicitms of run ins with cars. One of my females was run over by a 30 ton bulldozer! I nursed them back to health and most I've found over the years I've released. These 4 I keep for breeding. 2 of the females I've had for over 20 years. Never take Box Turtles from the wild. They are becoming rarer and rarer. Look on Kingsnake.com for captive bred ones.

I believe Three-toes are native in your state so I don't see any problem with letting them hibernate naturally in the winter. When the fall approaches and they start feeding less they'll dig a shallow hole in the soil and hibernate. I always dump a big pyle of leaves on top of them once they're dug in to give them extra protection. Your pen should have a large section of loose mulch and leaves for hibernating in. Make sure you don't use any mulch with pine needles or bark in it. Keep the mulch moist in the summer. Box turtles like to bury into it to stay cool during really hot weather.

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
This is off-topic, but do you have to worry about them biting you or are they pretty friendly? I had a common snapper many years ago, and he actually started out being friendly. But then, you know, he earned his name. ;)

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
mine has never bitten me, and i probably handle him more than i should lol.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
No, box turtles don't bite. The only way they'd nip you is if they mistake your fingers for a worm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store