My Three Toed Box Turtle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
Ok i drew some plans of what im wanting and took a picture of it...it bad drawing and you might not be able to read what something is, but ill post anyway so you can get a feel of how im kinda wanting it

The plants that are going in there are:
some wild ferns from my grandma, they grow HUGE bushy and full, and live through anything
Strawberries (underneath/around the ferns)
*maybe* some cana lilies, not sure on this tho, i think they are super aggresive and take over an area and you can't get rid of them once you have them
The elm tree is already there. it will have to come out eventually, but it will be there for a bit. when it comes out i am thinking of replacing it with some sort of tree that stays small but full. maybe a japanese maple? idk, help on that?

I tried to draw in all of the little hills and mounds that i am going to make...one of them has a little den in it that im gonna try to make
The front left corner is where the tilled earth/peat moss mixture will go

I didn't draw the little island in the middle of the little pond, im thinking of not doing it....not sure. it would take away a lot of space for him to swim.
SANY0944.JPG

SANY0945.JPG

SANY0946.JPG

SANY0947.JPG

SANY0948.JPG

SANY0949.JPG

SANY0950.JPG
As you can probably tell, i am wanting this to look good as well as being practical. i am going to go with whatever is best for Terrance, but i am going to try to make it look good too.

SANY0944.JPG SANY0945.JPG SANY0946.JPG SANY0947.JPG SANY0948.JPG SANY0949.JPG SANY0950.JPG

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
I am going to look around at some of my local nurseries and find a flat rock to put in the ground to where it is level with the earth (for basking purposes).
Also, the measurements are not exact, so i just gave my best estimation. im usually pretty close tho.
the part facing the south is the 12ft part, and the part facing the west is the 7ft side. so he will get sun from the east, south and west, with plenty of places to get away from it if he wants

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
i think the wrap around the house is kinda pointless, besides for aesthetic purposes. as long as the east or west isnt blocked by the house he should get plenty of sun

i would also put the peat moss by the house, if hes going to hibernate there. he would probably feel less exposed. and i would suggest digging a slight hole for the moss to go in, and a makeshift roof over head. i think VF has somthing like that

get i nice big rock for basking and maybe put a small log in the pond. maybe add blackberries to the plant list too. other than that it looks awesome, i cant wait to see it happen

and where that pic of the turtle :D

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
i think the wrap around the house is kinda pointless, besides for aesthetic purposes. as long as the east or west isnt blocked by the house he should get plenty of sun
Well the wrap around gives him more room overall, especially if i add a friend or two for him. do you still think its pointless?

i would also put the peat moss by the house, if hes going to hibernate there. he would probably feel less exposed. and i would suggest digging a slight hole for the moss to go in, and a makeshift roof over head. i think VF has somthing like that
thats a very good point. i will do that

get i nice big rock for basking and maybe put a small log in the pond. maybe add blackberries to the plant list too. other than that it looks awesome, i cant wait to see it happen
good ideas!! but...
i have black berry bushes coming out my ears lol they are EVERYWHERE on my land. it would be very easy to dig a couple up and replant (in fact, i have done this) but i am not sure i want them in there. they are EXTREMELY thorny for one, and i would imagine its fruit would be useless for terrance unless i let the branches hang down low enough for him.

and where that pic of the turtle :D

and since you asked so nicely.... ;)

100_0182.JPG

100_0184.JPG

100_0185.JPG
i woke him up to get these, so he was all cranky and difficult to photograph, but hey, i would be too :p

100_0182.JPG 100_0184.JPG 100_0185.JPG

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Your enclosure blueprint looks pretty good. Just make sure the pond is not too deep and has shallow sides so it's easy for the box turtle to get out. They're not the best swimmers in the world and they can drown. I'd scatch the japanese maple (I know they're poisonous to some animals) and plant a blueberry bush instead. Lots of raspberry and black berry bushes would be good too. Instead of cana lilies plant hosta.

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
What is pyramiding? do you think that it is my fault that she has it? if it can happen in a couple weeks then it might be..... :(

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Pyramiding is when the individual scutes on the shell get a raised center (like a pyramid). It is characteristic of a diet too high in protein. It takes quite a while to get that way, so its probably not your fault. Its not very problematic in and of itself, but it is symptomatic of dietary issues which could lead to larger problems down the road. Luckily, hers isn't too bad, and if you back off the protein and feed more fruits and veggies, she should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store