My wally-world rescue betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
It doesnt need to be all fancy or big .I'll try and start a new forum board first thing in the morning,if not than we will make a lil lil club,us 3 unless more are wanting to join.:)
Start a Betta group here! :idea:

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I think there's a compromise here. Patronize the responsible lfs for the majority of purchases--tanks, filters, food, conditioners, meds, all that stuff. With the majority of your money going to the good lfs, I don't think you'd need to feel guilty for spending a few bucks at Walmart to save a betta.

Btw, you wouldn't happen to be the same "AshleyKimball" who posts the most amazing recipes over at vegweb.com, would you? :idea:

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
Yeah, that would be pretty cool! I have the space and the will, and if I worked more hours I could get the money.

There's just a lot of dilemmas with this kind of thing. HookedNewbie brought up the stellar point of avoiding huge chains. But even well meaning mom&pop LFS can be a death trap for bettas. I think if we really wanted to make a difference in the lives of all bettas, we should try hard to break the terrible industry standards of betta keeping. Work hard to ban the evil cups, mass breeding/culling and everything else. In order to change the fate of all poorly cared for fishies, we would need to abolish the root of the problem--the industry uses fish for profit, and oftentimes sees their lives as expendible.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Thanks for the advice HookedNewbie! I purchased some female bettas from a great breeder and was going to go that route for a male, until I saw some other threads about betta rescuing. I don't know which is the "right" path to take--get culls from a breeder, LFS or huge chains. I won't buy from chains anymore, that's for sure!

The more business they get, the more they will stock :headshake2:!
It's always a matter of personal choice and there is no "right" answer. Based on my experiences, I prefer to patronize good LFSs and even better local breeders. The best (and happiest) fish I've come to keep have been through my local aquarium club. The fact that you wanted to rescue speaks volumes though. "Fish are friends". :D

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
whoa wait a sec--I didn't see that ninja post! Yeah, LeahK, I'm the same person lol. I haven't been too active on vegweb lately because I'm investing all my time in school and my fishies lol! Thanks for the compliment on my recipes! Once the weather cools down I'll start more cooking!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store