My Xeriscaping Project...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
If it's a Prickly Pear I don't want it! I use to have one of those at my parents house. That thing grew huge and took over my mom's perennial garden, lol!

lol i think it is the think is evil had to move part of it last year i swear the tiny little hair things when right through my leather gloves

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Actually gloves are useless when handling prickly pears or any cactus really. The thorns become enbedded into the gloves and well eventually go through and get you. It is best to use paper towels there more affect then gloves.

I remember once use some gloves when cutting some nopales (pads from prickly pair nopales is cactus in spanish) for my grandpa. We being mexican some of our dishes consist of nopales and well he loved them in the morning ixed with eggs. Anyways the next time I put those gloves on I got a thorn in my finger and I was no where near the cactus.

Paper towels are you best bet. Cost affective and disposable. Gloves should be used with only plants that have fixed thorns like roses or with Aloes or even Agaves but not cactus like prickly pears.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
lol i think it is the think is evil had to move part of it last year i swear the tiny little hair things when right through my leather gloves
That's why I hated that cactus! Those little hairs are so irritating. You can never seem to find them all if you happen to accidentally touch that cactus.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
That's why I hated that cactus! Those little hairs are so irritating. You can never seem to find them all if you happen to accidentally touch that cactus.
Those lil hairs are actually called glochids. Those are so annoying. I sometimes prefer being poked by the bigger thorns. At least there easier to find and remove granted they sometimes hurt and draw blood.

Ill actually have like 3-4 of these plants growing in my garden. One is from my grandpa's original cactus. When I see it, it brings back old memories of my grandpa. Another is from my Great Uncle from my grandma's side. Sadly he is dying from cancer. The third I jacked from someones yard lol. A quick swipe with my pocket knife and I had myself a new cactus. The fourth is one that turns purple with the bright sun. I dont have it but thinking of buying one. Of course these will all be kept trimmed since they all get HUGE.

My garden plants will consist of mostly Agaves and Aloes. I am thinking of growin some milkweed to attract some monarch and queen butterflies.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ok most of this I did last night. By the time I got inside ate dinner and relaxed it was to late to take pics. Im thinking this is how Im gonna set it up granted the tubs still need to be burried. Man those tubs are heavy. Even moving them with a dolley was a pain in the rear. But check it out. There is more dirt visable then weeds now =) This project will be slowing a bit. I was able to do this much since I was on my days off but I go back tonight.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Thank you. I cant wait either lol. I got sun burn and sun rash (not heat rash). Until next week the amount I do to the yard will be minimal.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ok more pics of the work I did today in the morning before the sun came out. Luckily we had an overcast this morning gave me more time to work outside without fear of the sun. But here are the pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store