Mystery Disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Probably due to internal inflammations most of us dont catch until too late, that is by the time fish shows external symptoms.
This could also been started external infection and progressed internally but my guess would be systemic (internal) problems.

I have brought back numerous fish when caught on early stages, by observing not just their swimming behaviors/eating habits but also their social behaviors.
Need to observe fish in many categories to suspect possible complications.

Key is how fast you can catch the problem thus requires close monitoring.

If memory serves, Kana can be absorbed thru skin from water. For more info, google novalek.com and click on Aquavet for more info.

Hope this helped.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Yeah these were special ordered for me by my lfs. They were bagged 3 to a bag and had some frayed fins from picking on one another. I picked them up on the day they arrived and they all looked healthy and active. It wasn't until this week got here that this disaster started.
Hopefully for the ones left I can treat accordingly and save the ones I still have.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
It could also be Costia, TB, or many other bacterial or parasitic. It's really difficult to tell sometimes without using a microscope. The only thing we can rule out is fungus.

Here's my favorite link for diagnosing disease. Look through the advanced section. Their diagnostic tree's are excellent.

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/diseases.html

If it were my tank I would treat with malachite green (parasites) and gram negative antibiotics (Marycin II, tetracycline, kanamycin, etc..)

Best of luck to you on getting this one resolved.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm so sorry for your losses. How many are obviously ill, and how many that aren't visibly affected yet?

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I had to put one down, his organs were coming out of his body :(

2 of the snow whites have symptoms. 3 of my acei and 2 white top haras now have symtpoms as well.

I have 1 demasoni, 1 acei, 4 syno 1 red tail shark, and I'm not sure how many white tops I have. They are not showing signs yet.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
ALthough anything is possible, Most likely, not a TB nor Costia (dont recall internal hemorhaging from Costia).

What is Maracyn-TC?
I personally dont think EM nor TC would have any effects if this is what I think it is.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
For now I'm assuming it's contagious and that since all fish have been exposed they shall all be treated. I'm going to turn down the temp to hopefully slow down the progress.

I'm picking up a 20 long this weekend so maybe I can separate the really bad ones and treat as needed. I have an extra 5.5 but the acei are way too big, not to mention all the snow whites. I don't think I could keep the water clean enough.

This has been just heart breaking seeing them rot like this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store