Need advice on 55 gal planted tank..-I SUCK...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
sure- Anachris will work- but don't let it float- shove it somewhere that it wont shade the plants you want- give them all the light you can. if you can plant the anachris to shade naked hardscape , its even better- it will help to stop the algae from attaching a foothold on brightly lit hardscape like rocks and driftwood.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
you could try water sprite it grows fast, very fast, and is awesome at sucking up E, i would not keep that moss ball, its not really moss its an algae, and i had one years back for 6 months next thing you know, my whole tank was green, i had to scrap and scrap for months and us ro/di to get rid of it, the only thing i had that ate it was cherry barbs, they liked it so much there poop was green.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've never had luck with anacharis. That stuff totally frustrated me and I gave up on it. Like said, water sprite and wisteria are easy, super fast growers.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I've never had luck with anacharis. That stuff totally frustrated me and I gave up on it. Like said, water sprite and wisteria are easy, super fast growers.
I had no luck keeping anacharis either. Dont no why but it just seen to do well in my setup. Ive had success with water wisteria but one one the fish in the tank took a liking to it and ate all of it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
You're probably not going to keep the stem so it doesnt really matter what you put in. Watersprite, wysteria, anachris- grab whatever is close and cheap.

Dont worry about the moss ball, that isn't the same algae that took over another poster's tank, their arrival just happened to coincide.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Just make sure you get enough. One or two bunches WONT be enough to do whats others are suggesting.

Back in the day, it was always suggested that you start your tank from DAY 1 with a whole tank full of fast growers to counteract exactly what's happened to you.

That advice has seemed to have gone by the wayside in recent years and you see way too many people starting tanks with only a few plants only to have the same problems that you are describing happen to them.

I personally won't start a tank until I know I can afford to jam it full of plants from day 1.

Good Luck -- hope this works itself out for you.

Bongox3

AC Members
Nov 25, 2013
Plus one for the advice given by turbosuarus.... Increase ur photo period and intensity... Introduce macro and micro fertz, and there's pretty much nothing u won't be able to grow. Excel is a substitute for co2 supplemation (it also can act as a algaecide)... Its not really a fertz, like iron or postasium...If you want to go co2, there's inexpensive DIY options or more expensive pressurized systems (often sold at discount in classified areas)... I use both, to be honest co2 is far more effective then excell, but excel works pretty good... Once u have a balance, algae control is automatic ~ some algae will always be present and is actually a sign of a healthy bio system within the tank... If u know all this, my apologies....I'm new here... If not, shoot me a pm and we can discuss some informative sources...

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Just make sure you get enough. One or two bunches WONT be enough to do whats others are suggesting.

Back in the day, it was always suggested that you start your tank from DAY 1 with a whole tank full of fast growers to counteract exactly what's happened to you.

That advice has seemed to have gone by the wayside in recent years and you see way too many people starting tanks with only a few plants only to have the same problems that you are describing happen to them.

I personally won't start a tank until I know I can afford to jam it full of plants from day 1.

Good Luck -- hope this works itself out for you.
I'm one of those that started with too few. I still have some patches of BBA, but the tank in my avatar needs a *serious* trimming (yes, that's an older picture). I probably need to look at going pressurized CO2 and dosing consistently to get that BBA under control.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Gotta make sure to keep stock that's conducive to a tank chock-full-o-plants if that's the route you want to go. I know I've got to trim my watersprite and wisteria almost weekly, or my koi angel has a hard time getting around, or getting food compared to the others in my 55. 55's unfortunately require more trimming because of the small 12" depth.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Gotta make sure to keep stock that's conducive to a tank chock-full-o-plants if that's the route you want to go. I know I've got to trim my watersprite and wisteria almost weekly, or my koi angel has a hard time getting around, or getting food compared to the others in my 55. 55's unfortunately require more trimming because of the small 12" depth.
I agree but if you 'scape with that in mind, you should be okay - tall plants in the back - mids in he midground and shorter plants in the fore

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store