Need Advice on Mudskipper

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
And just FYI, the gobies that form symbiotic relationships with fish are marine species, they pair up with pistol shrimp. I don't know of any freshwater/brackish gobies that do this.

palgo47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
but my betta seem to have bond a close relationship with the goby!..they always stay side by side...hmm..is tis a symbiotic relationship or a new relationship im yet to find out?? haha..

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
symbiotic means they are dependent apon each other in some way, aka one cleans each the other and the other provides the one food. They could just have developed a relationship, both are intelligent species. Or there may be signs of aggression.

palgo47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
i just found out that my "goby" is actually a swamp darter!! lol!! could it be? any second opinions?

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
same reply as on MFK, it's an etheostoma sp. could easily be a swamp darter but the exact species is sometimes hard to pin down.

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
I'd say it's a swamp darter. I catch them in my lake here in eastern NC.

They are commonly found mixed with glass/grass/ghost shrimp at LFSs.

If I dip a net in my lake, I will usually pull up several darters and several glass shrimp everytime.

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
Though I wouldn't rule out the Round Goby. That's a pretty convincing picture Schiz found.

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
I don't know. Just keep finding pictures and compare them all side by side.

It looks like the goby's eyes bulge out more above the head. The finnage and patterns also look a lot like yours.

On the other hand. I would think it is more probable to find a darter hitchhiker in a ghost shrimp stock. The darters I've encountered also look like a very close match to yours.

I still think it's a darter, but I can't be sure after seeing the goby pictures.

If you ever find out, let us know.

RichardA

Bettas are not a college frat
May 3, 2008
Oklahoma
Looks to be a darter..........that would explain how it came in with shrimp as most shrimp are farm raised outdoors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store