Need Advice on Mudskipper

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palgo47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
heres a new set of photos taken using an slr camera..with much more detail and clarity! hope u guys get it right tis time...btw thank you so much for all your effort! really appreciate u guys helpin me out :headbang2:

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
I sifted through a lot of pictures for you. I say darter.

Juvenile Round Goby linked by Schiz:

ID Chart for round Goby:

Another:

Yours doesn't seem to have the same finnage and spot on the dorsal fin.

Various Darter (Etheostoma sp.) Pics:

Hard to say what exact species of darter it is. There are a lot that look similar. Swamp Darter is a good generic term for it.

They are really interesting in the aquarium; lots of personality.

One thing is for sure, it's not a mudskipper. Prove it to your dad by putting it on some mud and watch it flop instead of skip.

palgo47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
I sifted through a lot of pictures for you. I say darter.

Hard to say what exact species of darter it is. There are a lot that look similar. Swamp Darter is a good generic term for it.

They are really interesting in the aquarium; lots of personality.

One thing is for sure, it's not a mudskipper. Prove it to your dad by putting it on some mud and watch it flop instead of skip.

Thank you so much jflng!

wow! the black spot on its dorsal fin sure makes all the difference...notice mine is clear! his currently being house in a 15g tank with 7 tiger barbs...he made his home under a driftwood and would try to fend of any barbs that come to close...lol! another thing i notice is that hes only active when the lights are off and would leave his shelter in search for food :) oh..btw he does flop!

any advice from u guys out there on keeping a darter? what food? water conditions? how big does it grow? thanks!

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
They are ballsy little creatures. I kept some with dwarf puffers once. They would frequently swim up to the puffers and pull the bloodworms right out of the puffers' mouths. It was really entertaining.

I don't really know much about proper husbandry for them. They will eat almost anything. They probably prefer cooler water (at least, don't let your temps rise too high), and I think I read their lifespans are fairly short; 2-3 years I believe.

That's about all I have. I'm sure everything varies for different species and subspecies. Keep searching the net for them, and you'll find some good care pages eventually.:thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store