neep help fast.rescued discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
thanks!!I need all the luck I can get!just have tobe patient........just want these guys to have a good heathy life

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
With the discus, when they first exhibit the swollen belly and the head down, rear in the air sort of position, the first thing to rule out is bloat. Bloat can happen if they overeat dry pellet or wafers and after they ingest it, it expands quickly in their stomachs. I had a female do this all the time. She'd pig out on the algae wafers that I put in the tank in the dark for the plecs and cories. I'd find her in the morning unable to keep her balance. The epsom salts worked, and then she'd do it again. It may take a couple of doses for that one.

If you still see no improvement after another dose, then you probably are looking at swim bladder and with that, the chances of getting better are pretty much zero.

Just give them lots of fresh water changes for now. Observe their behavior over the next couple of days, notice who's eating and who's not. See if there's any cloudy eyes or flashing. But for now, let them destress and get acclimated to what must seem to them like "fishy heaven"! Good job!

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
First you need to use a wide spectrum antibiotic like Furan-2. If you raise your temps it will hinder parasites but bacteria will explode in growth with higher temps. Salt added will not hurt but generally will not help with parasites or bacteria once they are established. Epsom salts can help with bloat if it is due to food but if the tank was neglected I would assume it is not due to a food blockage. Use a anti-parasite med like prazi-pro with the directions on the bottle. If they are eating you have a chance but if they have quit eating they tend to wither. Lower the water current as much as possible while keeping adequate aeration and filtration and do daily water changes. Temps should be at 86 minnimum. You could also dose with methylyne blue is fungus is suspected.

After this watch for definite illness symptoms. Then treat accordingly.

AquaGem

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Kzoo Michigan
Real Name
Tori
I don't have any help but I think it's great that you rescued them and are now trying to get them healthy :) Good luck and I hope everyone comes out ok

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
day 2...fish are cool.the one is still nose down.Ive noticed that his eyes are cloudy.not completey though.The bulge in his body is not in his belly,its in the centre of his body.and he is not eating,poor guy..the fish I saved are blue diamond,panda,a wild caught and 2 red turquiose one of which is ill.these fish are all about 3.5 to 4 inches in diameter.should I do a water change first then dose with epsom salt or should I just dose the tank as is?Thanks for the input guys.Its nice to know that I have somany on my side

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
the sick fish has a long white poop hanging out of him.its not stringy its kinda solid like.its about 1.5inches long and looks like rope that has been chaffed at one end.I feel like giving him a newspaper.....ha.....ha...

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
With the sick fish, it could be he hasn't eaten in a while and is shedding intestinal lining. If you just put them in fresh water and your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are all acceptable (0,0,0-20), i'd dose the epsom salts now. If you were going to do a water change today anyway, go ahead and then dose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store