New 10g build, First SW tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
What do you like? Some of the easier/beginner corals can spread really quick and in a small tank like yours space is a premium. Do you want something like a forest of zoanthids and star polyps or do you want more of a structured stoney coral look (understanding you have some limitations on that end).

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
I would really like a Hammer Coral, and or a Pulsing Xenia. I really need to do more research, but Im not to interested in in the stoney looking corals. And I hear they are more difficult to care for. I dont want an invasive coral, I already have to many plants that require a weekly trimming.

As for the Cardinalfish. I really like the spotted cardinalfish, but it says 30g. Can I assume that's incorrect like the gobies?

So would a good stock be small gobie/shrimp combo, and two spotted cardinalfish? Or should I be looking for a smaller fish?

Nice tank!!!!
Thanks

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
AFAIK, Spotted Cardinalfish will get far to large for a 10gal tank. 3 1/2in, aprox full size. maybe as a younger fish, but when it gets larger, no, it would be to large. I once saw adults at my LFS, they would have been cramped in a 30gal tank, let alone a 10gal... stick with smaller fish, judge by size if nothing else. So yea, I don't recommend for a 10gal tank.

Other then that, your tank is looking very nice. I would go with a stock of gobie/shrimp combo with a pair of Firefish! That would look nice, and none of those fish are aggressive or get to large for a 10gal. Good luck!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I just saw one of these today and thought of your tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+3041&pcatid=3041

I was considering one for my tank so I looked them up. Looks like there are mixed reviews on whether or not the fish stays out in the open or not. It looks like that depends on tank mates and whether or not the other fish are aggressive (obviously won't be a problem in your tank). This fish was right up on the glass and really interacting with me. They stay very small and I think it will be fine in a 10 with a goby/pistol. Definitely do some reserach though on min tank size as I saw some minimums in the 20-30 gallon range. LA says 10 though too.

As far as a true open swimmer you are going to have a tough time. Just not many at all that are going to be happy in a 10. The 2-spot or flame cardinal is going to be a bit big. Someone traded in some of these at my LFS a while back and they were pretty good size. The striped might be ok...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+26+1431&pcatid=1431

Again, do some more research on these as I have never had or considered any of the cardinals.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
When I said stoney I wasn't really meaning SPS more LPS like the hammer you mentioned. The hammer will be fine with your tank as will frogspawns and torches. Euphyllia grow pretty quick and they have sweepers that can reach pretty far to sting other corals but they don't encrust to rocks so they can be moved around easily and are also pretty easy to cut/frag. Xenia on the other hand will over run your tank pretty quick. I would really not recommend that for your tank unless you really like the look. If you decide you don't want it later then you'll pretty much need to swap out your rock. You could get a small rock and isolate it on your sandbed (maybe on the right side) glue some xenia to it. Just make sure the xenia cannot reach the glass of the main rock structure.

If I had a 10 I might do something like a hammer to give some movement a nice small open brain and some acans, favia, chalice and some nice zoas to mix things up. These are all nice corals that don't grow extremely fast (well some zoas can) but you could use the 10 as a grow out tank. If you decide you like the hobby then your frags will have some size to them by the time you upgrade.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
When I said stoney I wasn't really meaning SPS more LPS like the hammer you mentioned. The hammer will be fine with your tank as will frogspawns and torches. Euphyllia grow pretty quick and they have sweepers that can reach pretty far to sting other corals but they don't encrust to rocks so they can be moved around easily and are also pretty easy to cut/frag. Xenia on the other hand will over run your tank pretty quick. I would not recommend that for your tank unless you really like the look. If you decide you don't want it later then you'll pretty much need to swap out your rock. You could get a small rock and isolate it on your sandbed (maybe on the right side) glue some xenia to it. Just make sure the xenia cannot reach the glass of the main rock structure.

If I had a 10 I might do something like a hammer to give some movement a nice small open brain and some acans, favia, chalice and some nice zoas to mix things up. These are all nice corals that don't grow extremely fast (well some zoas can) but you could use the 10 as a grow out tank. If you decide you like the hobby then your frags will have some size to them by the time you upgrade. However these are a bit more $ than corals like xenia, star polyps and leathers.

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Sweet I really like those Wasse, going to look into that, expensive. Thanks for the suggestion! Cool, I think I'm going to get a hammer for sure then. Will the Xenia grow on the glass? I dont want that. Lol

Think the cardinalfish are off the table, thanks fishfriend.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I still think Firefish would be a nice option lol. I can't wait to see your tank with fish and corals in it!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Xenia will grow anywhee it can lay down a branch (glass, rocks, overflow boxes, heaters, etc), They don't seem to lay down in the sand though and if they do that growth is pretty easy to disrupt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store