New 20g Shellie Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
hmm. it will take awhile but ive heard a full grown alto take on a multi and eat them when they get bigger, plus with a alto youll never have any fry most likely, depends on the species of juli. if you get any it may have to be a loner, because a pair would kind of dominate a setup that small as far as im concerned. perhaps a single transcriptus or ornatus maybe. but than it would depend on the individual as transcripitus ive always heard have a bad attitude, however, ive got 3 and ive never had a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
OK, thanks for the insight austin. I'll probably just stick with the Multies to start anyway.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
OK, thanks for the insigProxy-Connection: keep-alive Cache-Control: max-age=0 austin. I'll probably just stick with the Multies to start anyway.
yea i forgot to mention that as a general good rule of thumb, is to let the shell dwellers in first and let them get comfortable before adding other species. i took about 100 pics of my multies to show them off. ill have them up shortly.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
OK, thanks for the insight austin. I'll probably just stick with the Multies to start anyway.
Good decision, Drg! A colony tank of Multies is a lovely and an interesting one. So, you are going in the right way, IMO. About the rocks: You will not have any problems with the Multies' digging activities; if you put those rocks directly on the tank's bottom glass and not over the sand.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
OK, thanks again. I may have to redo the rocks then because I only have them buried in the sand, not all the way to the glass.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Great! Do it and you won't have to worry about a rocks avalanche when the multies start to dig.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Looks good buddy and that black sand is sweet, i don't think you will have any issues with the slate.. I have Texas Holey rock in mine.. Also too many shells that are not utilized by the colony will create a pollutant that could send your water into a ammonia factory..

If you wanna breed the multi's leave them to a species only tank anything else will make a quick snack of new fry that will surely happen, my 20 Long is packed with a huge Multi colony and is quite awesome and anything else that you put in there that is smaller non aggressive and will not eat the fry will get a beat down from the colony..

Multi's are a pretty aggressive packed little fish..

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Thanks for the advice Pitt. When you say that too many shells could make it an ammonia factory, is it because waste can build up in there, or something else? If it is waste, then I maybe I'll remove a few, and be sure to be thorough in cleaning them out once in a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store