New 20g Shellie Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Yeah, Pitt is talking about fish and food waste accumulating inside the shells; but don't remove any shell, just clean them once a month turning them upside down while in the tank's water, so that waste come out and then you can remove it. Do not take any shell out of the water to clean it; there may be eggs inside the shell and you should not want to loose them. This is how Pitt told me to do the shells' cleaning and care.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Double post

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
OK, thanks efors. I'll be sure to just give them a little underwater flip once in a while then! Looks like the filter bac finally caught up today too. No ammonia or nitrate this morning. I'll keep dosing until a day before I get the fish.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Thanks.. Efors is right on i lived and learned from that experience first hand, yeah just rotate them underwater and all the sand and waste buildup will roll out its usually a concern when you have a lot of shells in a smaller system..

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Bummer, seller just PM'd me that one of the females bit it at the hands of a young Front. Now I'm second guessing just getting 3 for a 20g. Do you think I should still go ahead if the rest are unharmed and add a couple more females later, or look elsewhere for stock? I did see some on aquabid. I had planned on getting them from my LFS but he hasn't had shellies in a few weeks.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Thanks Pitt. Iguess I could always keep a couple fry too if I wanted. How long do multies take to grow to adult size?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
No problem friend..

Their pretty fast growers don't know the actual rate but you will be surprised at their growth and reproduction rate, I love mine their awesome and i have a huge colony going..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hey Pitt, how much time it would take before a colony of multies start to breed in a new tank? After 3 months, I am getting anxious with my colony.

Mr.peacock

AC Members
Aug 31, 2009
efors i asked pitt the same thing when he was over tonight he said it should not take long i moved mine up from a 16g to a 33gallon long so it should not take long

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store