New 30 gal setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Gotcha, could you make some suggestions...I want color.

I was going to make 1 side of the tank rocks and the other side shells.
To be honest Tangs don't have a whole lot of color. You could try gold occies. But they can be really nasty and may not do well with other fish. I think multis would be your best bet. Then you could also keep some sort of small julie.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I think multis would be your best bet. Then you could also keep some sort of small julie.

Ok after doing some reading I think you're right, "I think multis would be your best bet" So now the question is how many 4 or 6?

Also if I had to pick only 1 of the 3 Shelldwellers what would be wrong with Lamprologus ocellatus or 'Big-Eye' Lamprologus, Zebra Shelldweller they do have more color than the Multis? I like the Zebras much more.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
For multis I would start with 6 to make sure you get a mix of genders.

Do you have pictures of the zebra shell dweller or 'Big-Eye' Lamprologus ? I'm not familiar with these common name. Occellatus come in many colors but can be more aggressive than other types of shellies. The males sometimes like to kill off their females.

I thought zebra shell dweller was a common name for multis or similus. Both look almost identical.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
For multis I would start with 6 to make sure you get a mix of genders.

Do you have pictures of the zebra shell dweller or 'Big-Eye' Lamprologus ? I'm not familiar with these common name. Occellatus come in many colors but can be more aggressive than other types of shellies. The males sometimes like to kill off their females.

I thought zebra shell dweller was a common name for multis or similus. Both look almost identical.

Here is the Zebra

And this is what is being refered to as a Multis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store