New 40B and a return to the hobby. Yay!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
I finally set it up!!!
I ended up getting a stand instead of using the bureau. A 40B stand is shockingly difficult to find. I got one that would accommodate a 55-75. I made a very poor attempt to paint the stand, and will have to do about a million touch ups.
Initially, I wanted to get a canister, but in the interest of not spending a lot, I got the dual biowheel Emperor HOB.
I got a cheapo LED system from petco. If it doesn't work well, I can always upgrade later.
The hardscape is standard driftwood from my LFS and rocks from the backyard. I'm still waiting for one of the pieces to become waterlogged.
Thus far, I have anubias cogensis and nana, a java fern, and crypt wendtii green and another type of midground sized crypt that I cant rememer the name of.
I'd like to have a foreground of crypt parva. I'm still not sure on the background. Thoughts?

photo2.JPG

photo.JPG

photo.JPG photo2.JPG photo.JPG

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Thanks!

I just ordered some fissidens for the wood.
I'm thinking of skipping a foreground plant and just leaving the sand and rocks. I don't want a superdemanding foreground plant and crypt parva seems to be hard to find... unless anyone knows of a good source ;)
Maybe some vals or something else tall for the back. I'm kind of at a loss in terms of what else to put there.

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Thanks jpappy!

I actually found a fish store in MA that seems to have a pretty good plant selection (according to their website), and actually has crypt parva. Uncle Ned's Fish Factory. I'm hoping to get that, some vals, maybe some more compact swords (maybe not too), and some hygro. I've been looking at hygro pinnatifida; does anyone have experience with that in my type of setup? Lots of conflicting info with CO2 vs none and lighting.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Thanks jpappy!

I actually found a fish store in MA that seems to have a pretty good plant selection (according to their website), and actually has crypt parva. Uncle Ned's Fish Factory. I'm hoping to get that, some vals, maybe some more compact swords (maybe not too), and some hygro. I've been looking at hygro pinnatifida; does anyone have experience with that in my type of setup? Lots of conflicting info with CO2 vs none and lighting.
Hey another person from MA! i have yet to visit Uncle Neds but ive heard its a good place.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
I actually live in NH, and Uncle Ned's is like 90 minutes away, but it beats my LFS with their old withering plants :)

I'll update after I go and let you know how it was. From their website, it seems like a pretty sweet place.

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Got the scape done after a very fruitful trip to Uncle Ned's; which is AMAZING, btw.

40B scape.jpg

In the back left corner is an Ozelot sword.
Next to that, but kinda hidden behind the wood is hygro augustifolia.
In the center is a massive crypt spiralis.
In the right corner is a stupid impulse purchase of cabomba that will probably die... probably should've researched that instead of taking someone's word for it.
In the left midground is crypt undulata, right mid is wendtii green.
Foreground is crypt parva. There was also what looked like baby tears stuck in w some other plant, so I stuck them in the sand to see what they'd do.
On the wood is a java fern (duh), anubias, and fissidens.

What do you think? Suggestions welcome :)

40B scape.jpg

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Nice additions!

The Cabomba is an iffy plant. Oddly enough though, I got my greatest growth with some when I more or less did nothing...I tried some again and went over the top, never grew well (got really leggy). Hopefully you're lucky and it works out as it's a nice looking plant.

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Thanks!

Now for some stocking decisions. I'd like to be able to have some shrimp, so an angel and larger tetras are out. I was thinking about a pearl gourami, some cories, a bristlenose or ottos (not both), but I'm stuck on a schooler. I've had cpds and rummies, and would maybe like to try something different. I'd like something that schools well and is colorful. I'd rather not have neons or cardinals.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store