New Aquascape: Edens Gate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr Ironic

AC Members
May 26, 2015
Aquascape Title: Edens Gate

Tank: 61 x 41 x 58 Juwel Lido 30 UK Gallons

Lights: Odyssea Quad T5HO Unit, 2 x 24W 6400K Bulbs, 2 x 24W IQuatics Plant Growth Bulbs. 9 hours per day

Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia mixed with ADA Power Sand, White Sand

Hardscape: Lava Rocks, Bonsai Driftwood

Filtration: Tetra Tec EX800 Plus, Pondguru setup with biohome ultimate and ultra mini

CO2: 1.5% Glutaraldehyde Solution in DI water (its the same stuff used in Seachen Excel and EasyCarbo)

Fertilisers: EI Ferts

Plants: Eleocharis parvula, Hydrocotyle Tripantita, Water Lettuce, Weeping Moss, Taiwan Moss, Christmas Moss and some stem plant

Fish: 12 Strawberry Rasbora, 4 Otocinclus sp, 7 Pygmy Cories, 6 Amano Shrimp, 1 Crystal red shrimp (i got it free with the amanos), a ton of Red Cherry Shrimp

and 1 awesome Black Orchid Crowntail Betta. his name is Ryuu (which in Japanese means 'Dragon')

This was inspired by the lake i live next to. it has weeping willow trees that grow alongside the lake so i thought why not recreate it. the bonsai trees obviously represent the willow trees and the sand is suppose to represent the river. i bought nano fish to keep a sense of scale and to make my tank look bigger than it actually is. the rasboras are suppose to be birds and pygmies, shrimp and otos are land animals. Ryuu is actually suppose to be a dragon in the forest.

the water lettuce are supposed to be clouds which the betta (dragon) spends most of its time.

262.JPG

263.JPG

264.JPG

265.JPG

266.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking good!

Reactions: Mr Ironic

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
going to keep them trimmed as if bonsai?

Mr Ironic

AC Members
May 26, 2015
Big update guys. so after a week tank has been growing out nicely. stem plants are growing well, mosses are green and growing fast, dwarf hairgrass is producing runner and hydrocytle sp japan is spreading like weed.

Alongside Ei dosing and 9 hours of 4 t5HO bulbs I also use my own DIY liquid c02 which is the same concentration as excel. The recommended dosage for me is 4ml a day. Whereas, I dose 69ml a day. Mind you guys I have also proven wrong a few myths about liquid carbon.

1. It doesn't kill shrimp in high dosage or overdose. All my female shrimp have breed normally. The young are growing up normally. I haven't had any shrimp die cause of it or run around my tank trying escape. I'm dosing 23x times the recommended dosage and no ill effects. I even have a crystal red shrimp which isn't effected either.

2. It does not kill moss in high dosage. If anything it's doing the opposite. My moss has been growing faster even since I increased the dosage. Especially the weeping moss, which on some occasions has even pearled.

3.it can he used to grow dwarf hairgrass. My hairgrass is producing runners and spreading at a reasonable rate. It's not growing as fast as it would with diy or pressurised but it's growing.

4. Bettas can live with shrimp (debatable but certainly not impossible). well my betta is living with my shrimp peacefully. it does all come down to the personality of the betta but its not impossible to have a betta with shrimp, or a community tank. my shrimplets are also surviving in the tank with him in there.

Also I haven't seen any algae growth in my tank. No threads, spots or brown.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store