New bubbler with Volcano/Skull 90mgallon water movement tips?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BrokerTamara

AC Members
May 6, 2013
Chicago Area
Real Name
Tamara
Thank you. I need to upgrade to the rio 3100 as this would do the trick.

Is there any worries about any food etc that falls behind the decorations or does the filter eventually get everything as water is moved.

I did not realize the pump was not strong enough as currently everything is fine for my two fish.

I have no problem changing. i just switch out?

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
3. I have no check valve on this, this is ok right?
you should get one. I siphoned a couple gallons onto the floor when I removed my air pump but left the air tube in the water because it was a temporary move. I still don't know how the siphon started, but it did somehow... made me wonder if it would have siphoned out if the air pump failed

I did not realize the pump was not strong enough as currently everything is fine for my two fish.
You may be fine with the 7x-8x turnover with no problems. 10x is just a good solid gph. you may find other people who suggest 4x, but it's better to err on the side of caution

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Personaly I always turn off the pumps and filter during feeding.

Except at night, when I throw in a few tablets/waffers for my nocturnals.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Personaly I always turn off the pumps and filter during feeding.

Except at night, when I throw in a few tablets/waffers for my nocturnals.
Do the fish flip out and get super happy when the pumps stop?

BrokerTamara

AC Members
May 6, 2013
Chicago Area
Real Name
Tamara
Thanks. I am deciding if I need the larger pump and the benefits.

Any thoughts of the water behind the decorations being stagnant is why I was considering a power head.

Thanks,
Tamara

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
My pump is a 900gph and there is no stagnate water at all. As far as feeding goes you just leave the sump running. I place my hand in the water with the flakes and release in front of the return. The food goes every where and the fish chase after it.
It seems that you are really making this a lot more difficult than what it actual is.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BrokerTamara

AC Members
May 6, 2013
Chicago Area
Real Name
Tamara
Your right. This is a new system and I am checking on everything. I want to add additional fish and I want to make sure everything is right.

I appreciate all the answers. I have researched my pump and many use the rio 2500 on a 90 gallon. I just want the best and this system is not as common for freshwater and I really appreciate all the advice.

So far everything has been great. and nitrates are low and 0 nitrite.

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
I have the exact same size tank and sump. That's why I'm saying your over thinking this. I have 25 different tetras, 8 Otto cats, 4 Denison Barbs, 2 SAE, 8 Cory cats, 2 BN plecos, 1 clown pleco, 2 vampire shrimp, 1 bamboo shrimp, 1 African Butterfly Fish, 1 EBR, over 100 RCS and at least 40 assassin snails all in a very heavily planted tank. Only maintenance I do is change filter sock every other day and 50% water change from the main tank once a month. I also have a pressurized co2 system running on this tank.
I went with this set up because of how easy it is and little work involved.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
My tanks are over filtered. my display discus tank is a 75 with a 1200 gph pump..of course this is rated at the head.. depending on routing and size of plumbing the gph output is reduced.

I also run a prefiltered power head in the tank to reduce 'dead spots' structure in the tank ( I use a lot of driftwood tangles) will obstruct the flow and create deadspots.

of course I am not running CO2 in heavily planted tanks so I am not concerned about off gassing of CO2

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Do the fish flip out and get super happy when the pumps stop?
I just turn off the pumps, not turn on the Nitrus-Oxide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store