New member with a 10G.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
you need pure ammonia or some raw shrimp at the grocery to supply ammonia. you need a test kit also. if you decide on liquid ammonia, you should get the ammonia up to 4ppm and then every time it drops add more till you get 4. once your tank can get to 0-ammo, 0-nitrites, and a showing of nitrates you'll be cycled. API test kit is what i reccomend for a test kit. with the shrimp you just get some pantyhose and put a shrimp in the pantyhose and just hang the shrimp into the tank and wait till you get 0, 0, and a showing of nitrates. getting some substrate or filter media from an established tank will help speed this up.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
the filter does make some water current, but it doesnt actually add any bubbles. and i do remember plants giving off O2 from biology, but is it enough for a community of fish? i would rather buy a few plants and a pump than have a plant tank.

noob ?...what does HOB stand for?
bubbles dont equal oxygen. surface aggitation equals oxygen and plants also add alot of oxygen. my favorite plan is anachris or elodea bc its so great at eating the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. HOB=hang on the back filter.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Well, when i had A single zebra danio it picked on my neon tetras. I would not get the danios anyway because they are mean unless in a large group and to me they dont look great. But on the plus side, they are hardy. I put mine in my neighbors tank (chepo spongbob thing with a bubbler that puts about 20gph over a "filter" (really just like a cloth). They havent cleaned this tank once and it is white all the way through (bacterial bloom) and the danio is still alive after living in this thing for 2 months. He probably isnt happy, but he is alive.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
bubbles dont equal oxygen. surface aggitation equals oxygen and plants also add alot of oxygen. my favorite plan is anachris or elodea bc its so great at eating the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. HOB=hang on the back filter.

Disagree, aeriation devices for example the pebble things release the bubbles which although cause surface agitation, also cause fresh oxygen within the tank.

jacob9799

AC Members
Oct 30, 2011
Danios are cool water fish and the neons definitely are not, I wouldn't suggest mixing them. Really I think you should read more about cycling before you think about stock.
from what ive read, im probably gonna go with cardinal tetras. to me, they look better than neons(just a small bit, haha)

and i think that ill get some raw shrimp and a test kit later this week, and that maybe the weekend after next, ill start getting fish. slowly but surely.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
from what ive read, im probably gonna go with cardinal tetras. to me, they look better than neons(just a small bit, haha)

and i think that ill get some raw shrimp and a test kit later this week, and that maybe the weekend after next, ill start getting fish. slowly but surely.
only get fish after you get ammo-0, nitrites-0, and a showing of nitrates. if you dont have these just save your money until you do. maybe ask you LFS if you can have a used filter cartlidge that you can put in your filter or some gravel from there tank that you can add.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
anachris, anubius, java moss, java fern, rotala, aponogeton(found at walmart in little bulb packs), and crypts are all very good low maintanance plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store